cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long after BK7 before you were approved for a core/legacy bank card by Citi, WF, BofA, or Chase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long after BK7 before you were approved for a core/legacy bank card by Citi, WF, BofA, or Chase?

I read on the forums at least two people were approved by Chase and Citibank at around seven-years post-BK7.

Have you read of others being approved for non-secured bank cards with a BK7 on file?

I am nearing seven years post-BK7 as I try to whatever I can to position myself for approval, such as having a checking/savings account with each of them.

I'll wait until I pay off my AMEX pay-over-time balance when five of my HPs fall off my reports.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
etex
Established Member

Re: How long after BK7 before you were approved for a core/legacy bank card by Citi, WF, BofA, or Ch

@Anonymous wrote:

I read on the forums at least two people were approved by Chase and Citibank at around seven-years post-BK7.

Have you read of others being approved for non-secured bank cards with a BK7 on file?

I am nearing seven years post-BK7 as I try to whatever I can to position myself for approval, such as having a checking/savings account with each of them.

I'll wait until I pay off my AMEX pay-over-time balance when five of my HPs fall off my reports.

I applied for the Costco citi anywhere Visa card 3 years post and was immediately approved via Costco's iPad app.  Btw, my first card post bk was cap1 venture a year prior and I had been unemployed for four years. Ymmv

Message 2 of 11
jj10939
Regular Contributor

Re: How long after BK7 before you were approved for a core/legacy bank card by Citi, WF, BofA, or Ch

I received a pop up when logging into my WF checking for the Platinum 3 years post BK7. I've since product changed that to the Rewards Visa which also resulted in an APR reduction. 

Citi Costco approved at 4.5 years. Citi is usually 7 years post BK7 for their core cards. 

Chase is 10 years post. BK must be off the report as of about two to three years ago. 

Good luck!

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I can open a checking/savings account with WF and add DD as I did with Chase and BofA even though WF, BofA, and Chase were all IIB. 

Message 4 of 11
Hex
Valued Contributor

I got a Propel card a little more than 3 years post BK 7. I didn't/don't have any other accounts with WF. I have read about people getting declined for credit cards from them because they had deposit accounts with them but their balances weren't high enough. So if you open a deposit account with them you might want to keep that in mind. 

Message 5 of 11
Hex
Valued Contributor

I should add that I never burned WF. 

Message 6 of 11
DoogieBall
Regular Contributor

Citi was IIB, so spproved for Costco Business right at the 10 year mark post BK7

BofA denied 8 years post BK7.  Reason was BK

Chase: I'm waiting for the end of April to apply since BK is off reports for a solid 2 months.  Also will put me at 2/24 by that point.

R.I.P Cards 

Message 7 of 11
cem13
Established Contributor

My BK7 was 8 years when I was approved for the Citi DC @ $9000SL.  I was surprised at the high limit although I have 2x $25K with Navy and 1x $25K with my home CU.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 8 of 11
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Chase you won't be approved for until your BK is off reports completely. This has been their policy now for at least 4 years. If they were burned in your BK, then its a 50/50 chance of approval. If denied when you apply, call into UW and ask for reconsideration.

I was one of the lucky ones who got approved back in 2017 (3.6 yrs post DC), before their new policy went into effect. Got the Amazon Visa $3k SL, on my 3rd reconsideration attempt. I got drilled by the UW, but ultimately worth it. Chase was IIB for me. But, denied for CLI since then, and I quit trying too. Ill try when BK is off reports. But I wouldn't waste a HP with them now until your BK is off all your reports.

Citibank...Its really a toss up. I was approved on the Citi legacy side 6 years post BK DC with the Costco Visa. Citi doesnt like any new accounts or INQ for the prior 6 months of the application. But YMMV

BOFA is also a toss up, and like everything else in credit, its YMMV. I was approved for the Cash MC SL $800 in 2018 on recon, and have been denied CLI since then. BOFA was not IIB. I have no banking relationship with them either.

WF...eh..Im not a fan of them, so I can't say really.

There's lots of success stories post BK DC with these lenders, but theres more to take into consideration...scores, overall utilization, history, etccc.

Message 9 of 11
padme
Established Contributor

i had a best buy citi card and a HD depot store card after a few years.. many say u can get a costco, maybe a wmt or amazon now im not sure about those.. wayfair has a citi one now too, then theres an apple phone card

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.