cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to get some cc love?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does it take to get some cc love?

My scores (according to my fico) have finally climbed since removal of old baddies last month. I only have one 4 yr old medical collection ($150) that I am working on. Utilization is less than 5%, aaoa is highest with exp and lowest with tu. Only 2 inq with eq and exp, 3 with TU.  New accounts and "too few accounts" are the negative bullet points. I randomly tried some prequalifiers and don't get the love. Since my DH got the cap 1 love, I am just going to be an AU while I garden. How long does it normally take to start getting some prequalified cards to appear? I expect to hit the 700 mark across the board by the summer. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How long does it take to get some cc love?

Looking at the scores in your sig line, I don't think you necessarily need to wait for pre approvals. Who have you tried apping with?

Message 2 of 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

Yes pre quals is not a real determining factor. since you got the bad things removed. your scores are now in the good range to get a couple of cards at least. and garden. as the cards will help your scores go up faster. so even without a prequal. maybe get a cap one card. and try for a second card. then let it go. don't do too much too fast. and your scores will climb fast.

Message 3 of 10
wmweeza
Established Contributor

I think the reason I am never prequalified is because I opted out years ago, maybe you did too?

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I updated my scores. When I did that earlier, I put it in the private notes section by accident. I thought my scores would be good enough for at least a foot in the door but apparently not. I tried chase (which showed the freedom card a couple weeks ago) and there weren't any offers. Discover and amex had no offers. Cap 1 just gives me the platinum (have the QS). Either myfico scores are off or the scores they are using are off. It is just a little discouraging. I guess I will wait a month or two and try them again.

Message 5 of 10
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I updated my scores. When I did that earlier, I put it in the private notes section by accident. I thought my scores would be good enough for at least a foot in the door but apparently not. I tried chase (which showed the freedom card a couple weeks ago) and there weren't any offers. Discover and amex had no offers. Cap 1 just gives me the platinum (have the QS). Either myfico scores are off or the scores they are using are off. It is just a little discouraging. I guess I will wait a month or two and try them again.

I wouldn't rely on prequalifiers. With those scores, I'd try for a Barcaycard (maybe the Rewards card?) if it interests you, and garden that for a while. You could also try to cold app for a Discover card too. Discover's prequalifier site is useless anyway (it says anyone is preapproved).

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 6 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How long does it normally take to start getting some prequalified cards to appear?

It varies but don't rely on prequals.

@Anonymous wrote:

Either myfico scores are off or the scores they are using are off. It is just a little discouraging. I guess I will wait a month or two and try them again.

myFICO isn't off.  It's certainly possible that these creditors don't use FICO 8 scores though.  Again, don't rely on prequals.  Apply when your credit is in shape.

Message 7 of 10
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

With those February scores, I don't see why you're not in with Cap One QS1, Platinum or Barclays Average Credit.

Maybe you don't want those cards?

EDIT: You said, #5, you have the Cap One QS.

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I had no offers from Amex when I applied and got one. 

Message 9 of 10
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

I checked prequal before applying for AMEX, Chase, and Cap One Venture and didn't have an offer for any of them. I got them all...

I opted out like 7 years ago and just opted back in last August. Not sure if that is a factor or not. 

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.