Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many Synchrony cards can you get ?

tag
stinastina
Established Contributor

How many Synchrony cards can you get ?

I have 2 already but I really want more - Amazon Store, At Home, Home Goods, Lowes and Chevron. How far apart do I need to app ?

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: How many Synchrony cards can you get ?

No true limit but definetly tske your time in apping. They dont like multiple apps so close, could result in Blue envelope. They arent Comenity who can shut down all cards but i would space them out st least 6 months. If your scores and profile are good, going for 2 at once might not be a bad idea but remember Sync loves TU so multiple hps they will see subsequent applications.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last year I apped for Lowe’s in June and apped for Amazon, Walmart and CareCredit in July on the same day. I currently have 7 Synch cards with Walmart switching to Capital One and I think I’m going up close Marvel soon.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last year I added 1 in June (Care Credit), 1 in July (Walmart), 1 in August (JCP), 1 in September (Lowe's). All get moderate spend & have grown nicely. 

Joe's suggestion of caution is not necessarily contradicted by my results -- I was probably very lucky.  

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just make sure that your spend justifies the taking on of a store card.  Many people end up picking up a ton of store cards and they're only using them for (say) $50-$100/mo, which may only be yielding a buck or two more in rewards compared to using a different [non-store] card. 

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before you apply for a bunch of store cards you should ask yourself the purpose of doing so. Are you going to get value out of these cards since you are able to afford to spend a lot at each of these places? If you don't usually spend a lot of money at these places but still go every now and then consider the fact that people tend to spend more money when using store cards. If you can afford it and you spend a lot of money at these places I say go for it, but you should definitely apply for the store card you shop at most and prioritizing your applying based on the amounts you spend. I have the Amazon Prime card, it is the only store card I will ever acquire and the only reason I applied in the first place is because I get a lot of value out of it. 

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as your total Sync exposure doesn’t hit $100K, they don’t seem to care much. 

Spacing apps is always advisable though. I wouldn’t app for more than two of their cards at a time to be safe. There’s no sense risking getting your accounts shut down. Get them when you can really utilize them. 

Message 7 of 17
stinastina
Established Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for your wisdom. I am closing on my first house on Monday and need quite a few things. I only have 2 mortgage inquiries on my reports (except 1 Overstock hp for a cli earlier this year) in the past year. I will take it slow. I haven't even asked Navy for a cli in over a year because I was afraid of the hps.

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 8 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the new home OP. Before you app, wait until it's funded and you have the keys.

And, as some have mentioned upthread, I would focus on quality versus quantity. This way, no app remorse, less dings on your profile (i.e. short AAoA) and only end up with cards you'd be able to quantify decent value/rewards.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stinastina wrote:

I have 2 already but I really want more - Amazon Store, At Home, Home Goods, Lowes and Chevron. How far apart do I need to app ?

Amazon Store - sure it's easier than Chase but, you're only able to use it at Amazon and Whole Foods.. If you're a prime member you get the same 5% discount/rebate with the Chase version

At Home, Home Goods, - while there's not a specific "retail" card for covering furnishings a long term option would be a better idea

Lowes - 5% discount is appealing but, you can get 5% off with other cards as a rotating category or everyday through their portal 

Chevron - There are plenty of 5% gas cards out there that aren't going to be restricted to a single brand.

As others have suggested either way spacing the apps out is important but, looking at the bigger picture is more important.  If these are only going to be used for the first couple of months of having the new house then it's not the best use of new accounts.  Do some homework on things before you pick up a ton of new accounts and lock yourself out of better quality options due to churning rules.

When you know you're going to be spending a significant amount of money on things it's usually better to pick up a bonus like CSP where the net bonus would be at least $505.... you would need to spend 10K at Lowes to get that kind of payback.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.