Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often to space Chase credit cards

tag
Green456
Established Contributor

How often to space Chase credit cards

We all know how touchy Chase can be. For someone who is 1/24, how long should my wife wait until applying for next Chase card? 3 months or 6 months?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: How often to space Chase credit cards

@Green456 wrote:

We all know how touchy Chase can be. For someone who is 1/24, how long should my wife wait until applying for next Chase card? 3 months or 6 months?

Three  months minimum, six is better especially because she does not apply for cards often 

Some banks get touchy when someone who only had an app or two in the past few years all of the sudden starts applying frequently 

If she gets preapproval for a card she wants after three months, you dont need to wait. Without it, I'd wait six 

Message 2 of 12
Green456
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

Three  months minimum, six is better especially because she does not apply for cards often 

Some banks get touchy when someone who only had an app or two in the past few years all of the sudden starts applying frequently 

If she gets preapproval for a card she wants after three months, you dont need to wait. Without it, I'd wait six 

She right now has 2 pre-approvals; Freedome and Freedome unlimitted.

Message 3 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Green456 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

Okay, so my brain is not what it used to be, so I cannot memorize everything Smiley Sad, but wasn't she recently approved for a Chase card? 

If she was in the last month or so, that's just marketing not catching up with lending. Do not go near those preapprovals, that's how most shutdowns happen. Once marketing catches up, they will disappear, and with a little luck, show up again. 

If they stay, I'd still wait at least three months. 

If I am wrong and have her mistaken for somebody else, she's free to apply 

Message 4 of 12
Green456
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

Okay, so my brain is not what it used to be, so I cannot memorize everything Smiley Sad, but wasn't she recently approved for a Chase card? 

If she was in the last month or so, that's just marketing not catching up with lending. Do not go near those preapprovals, that's how most shutdowns happen. Once marketing catches up, they will disappear, and with a little luck, show up again. 

Your brain is not wrong. She got approved for CSR last night. We will take your advice and wait.

Message 5 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Green456 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

Your brain is not wrong. She got approved for CSR last night. We will take your advice and wait.

Definitely wait. Apps right after approval are how most horror stories with Chase start and end.  

Message 6 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

Definitely wait. Apps right after approval are how most horror stories with Chase start and end.  

+1

I would concur with the above.  Definitely not worth the risk in getting shutdown (one or both cards).  So, I'd say the longer she waits, the better (beyond 3+ months).

Message 7 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Just echoing the above. Wait at least 3 months and preferably 6.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say it’s all dependent on your profile. My wife got CFU and CSR within 6 weeks with no issues, with >40k SL on the CSR. Very high scores, income, and spend though.
Message 9 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I would say it’s all dependent on your profile. My wife got CFU and CSR within 6 weeks with no issues, with >40k SL on the CSR. Very high scores, income, and spend though.

It's not so much an issue of getting approved; it's that they will tend to approve and then a different review department shuts down one or both of the accounts. This isn't guaranteed, of course, some people can apply within short timeframes and be fine. But the general advice with Chase is at least 3 months between apps at a bare minimum just to be cautious.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.