Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to proceed with credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to proceed with credit report

Hello all

A couple of weeks ago I posted that my wife was denied the CSP becuase of lates on a Gap card from 2017/2018 (30/60/90), one late on a Banana Republic card back in January (we were traveling outside the country, new card, hadn't set up electronic notifications etc) and a citi card with 120 days late on it from 2014. 

Chase pulled EX. Kept her on the phone for 36 minutes, quizzed her over their concerns and still denied her. This was back on Sept. 13.

The Citi card is due to fall off April 2021. (MOD CUT - Discussing disputing accurate information on your credit report is prohibited on MyFico per our TOS.) - JAG73

As for Gap and Banana, I was going to recommend she write goodwill letters and see if that helps with removing the late payments. The gap card was closed back in 2018, whereas the Banana card is actually a Visa and it sleeps in the sock drawer. No balance on that card. 

Was hoping to see what your thoughts are, FICO community. Her scores are hovering the the 680-90s. 

Also, she has an AMEX that was charged off but paid in full. That card was closed 07/14. She now prequalifies with AMEX. MOD CUT - Discussing disputing accurate information on your credit report is prohibited on MyFico per our TOS.) - JAG73

Thank you!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to proceed with credit report

Can't condone disputing accurate info, it's against the rules here.

Amex & Citi will 100% verify it as accurate and it'll hit the score as if it was fresh, btw. You can wait a bit for an early exclusion, or a little bit longer for it to completely fall off.

Goodwill is a good idea, they say if it doesn't work... it means you didn't try hard enough ; )

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Digging a bit more, EX says the Citi account will drop Nov 2021, whereas TU says it'll drop 04/2021. Maybe I'll suggest she do goodwill with GAP and Banana and see if that gets any results with those accounts. I'd rather not cause her to do anything adverse if some stuff will drop off within the next year. 

Message 3 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Digging a bit more, EX says the Citi account will drop Nov 2021, whereas TU says it'll drop 04/2021. Maybe I'll suggest she do goodwill with GAP and Banana and see if that gets any results with those accounts. I'd rather not cause her to do anything adverse if some stuff will drop off within the next year. 

I'm assuming you got those dates from official AnnualCreditReport.com reports? If so, then EX can be EE'd Oct 2021 (EX builds in 2 months of EE into that date, and they allow up to 3 months total of EE), and TU can be EE'd the month it says, 4/2021. I'd just hold off. Certainly don't dispute anything accurate, can't talk about that here and more importantly, it'll come back verified and bring her scores down as mentioned above.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputing will likely ding your scores when it updates as "verified".

What you need to do is look into EE (early exclusion). 

October 1st would be early enough to request it from TU, if they list "estimated date of removal" as 4/2021.

You would likely need to wait 3 more months to request EE from EX (so possibly Jan). You would need the "on record until date" and you can request it 1 month prior to that date. It is one month because they already automatically give you 2 months of EE in the "on record until" date.

EQ is a disaster waiting to happen if you request EE from them. It is only 1 month, anyway, and many reports of derogd aging off naturally 1-4 months early, making requesting EE from them moot.

I would pull all 3 CRs from annual credit report for free. They are the only source with these specific dates for TU and EX.

For EE you need to call in and not do it via disputing, as disputing is seperate from requesting EE and will likely cause the account to come back verified. I have had this happen previously.

Lastly, is the 120d late where the citi card got CO'd or closed as a negative account? Or was the account brought current after that? If it was brought current after the 120d late, then the entire TL will not be removed, just the single late alone and you cannot request EE for lates, as it is only to remove entire derog TLs, such as COs, CAs, Repos, FCs, and BKs.

The AMEX may qualify for EE in the near future since that was a CO. Even paid, it is still a CO and once that is gone, it should help.

Even if the 120d late falls off, they may be concerned about the more recent lates within the past 2 years, especially.

I think the GW request is an excellent idea to see about getting the more recent lates off. The singular 30d late from Jan might have a good shot since it was isolated.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

ahhh fico lingo I don't know yet lol I will look that up. I'm just wondering why TU says Citi will drop off in April and EX says November 2021. 

Yes, this info is from annual credit report. Ty everyone for your responses so far. We really appreciate it. It was really sucky for her to get denied after working so hard over the past few years to get her credit up to snuff, and especially when chase has already extended her credit for a personal and business card in the past year. All of this info will hopefully help her more and it'll lead to getting the cards she wants. 

@Anonymous wrote:

October 1st would be early enough to request it from TU, if they list "estimated date of removal" as 4/2021.

You would likely need to wait 3 more months to request EE from EX (so possibly Jan). You would need the "on record until date" and you can request it 1 month prior to that date. It is one month because they already automatically give you 2 months of EE in the "on record until" date.

EQ is a disaster waiting to happen if you request EE from them. It is only 1 month, anyway, and many reports of derogd aging off naturally 1-4 months early, making requesting EE from them moot.

I would pull all 3 CRs from annual credit report for free. They are the only source with these specific dates for TU and EX.

For EE you need to call in and not do it via disputing, as disputing is seperate from requesting EE and will likely cause the account to come back verified. I have had this happen previously.

Lastly, is the 120d late where the citi card got CO'd or closed as a negative account? Or was the account brought current after that? If it was brought current after the 120d late, then the entire TL will not be removed, just the single late alone and you cannot request EE for lates, as it is only to remove entire derog TLs, such as COs, CAs, Repos, FCs, and BKs.

Even if the 120d late falls off, they may be concerned about the more recent lates within the past 2 years, especially.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm assuming you got those dates from official AnnualCreditReport.com reports? If so, then EX can be EE'd Oct 2021 (EX builds in 2 months of EE into that date, and they allow up to 3 months total of EE), and TU can be EE'd the month it says, 4/2021. I'd just hold off. Certainly don't dispute anything accurate, can't talk about that here and more importantly, it'll come back verified and bring her scores down as mentioned above.

Real quick, TU offers 6 months EE from "estimated date of removal", so 10/2021 and EX offers 3 months EE, but since 2 months are already built in to the "on record until" date, you can only call in and request it 1 month prior to that date.

I only say this, as me and my SO have done this recently.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

ahhh fico lingo I don't know yet lol I will look that up. I'm just wondering why TU says Citi will drop off in April and EX says November 2021. 

Yes, this info is from annual credit report. Ty everyone for your responses so far. We really appreciate it. It was really sucky for her to get denied after working so hard over the past few years to get her credit up to snuff, and especially when chase has already extended her credit for a personal and business card in the past year. All of this info will hopefully help her more and it'll lead to getting the cards she wants. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck!

EX and TU should list the payment history. Does it look right?

What is the "date of first delinquency" on the EQ CR?

I would also check the drop off dates for the AMEX and see if EE is possible in the near future.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

ugh, Amex won't drop off until 2023. Stinkers. It went delinquent in 2014 and she paid it in full. I'll dig more into why it won't fall of until 2023. The delinquency was first reported on December 1, 2014. I thought that's the date from which the 7 years begin. Chase didn't cite that as a reason for the denial, just GAP, BR and Citi. 

Message 9 of 16
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Wanted to chime in here to make mention that talk of disputing accurate info isn't allowed here and I kindly ask that we refrain from such chatter.   Please refer to the myFico Forums Terms of Service if you need to refresh yourself on the guidelines of this here forum.  

Thank you kindly for your understanding.  

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.