Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start a recon conversation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to start a recon conversation?

Offer to buy them dinner with your new card, if you are approved. 

Message 21 of 32
Chaselover
Frequent Contributor

I have been really good with recon calls. 

This is how the conversation should go: 

"Hello, my name is x, how are you doing? I have a pretty good credit score and I had applied for ___ credit card offered by your bank and I landed on the decision pending page.

{If you have any relationship with the particular bank, just mention that here. }

{If you got a targeted offer in the email, mention that here and say some rewards that you get from the card. } 

Will you be able to take a second look into my application and reconsider the application if I give you my SSN." 

They will put you on hold and come back either with verification questions and approval or questions and approval/denial in hand. 

If they ask you about inq/new accounts, just say - I am really not looking for so much of credit but Im interested in the rewards that come with the card (if it gives rewards, i dont know what to say here if its the low apr card) and you can see that my utilization is also very low and the rewards look really attractive.

This is not the way to do the call: 

"Hi my name is X, can you check for a credit card application that I did, if I can give you my SSN." They will say, give the SSN and then right away go on hold. Dont let them take off from you to keep you on hold without explaining the full thing initially. 

Be nice and explain everything first and then give your SSN. 

I have had very good luck with this strategy. 

In a committed relationship with Chase from 12/2012.
Age: 26, Income: $59,240/-, Current score: TU from CK: 750/A (12/24/14), TU Vantage score from CK: 775/C (12/24/14), Experian from Creditsesame: 717, Equifax from myfico: 724, Overall Util: 1% (12/24/14), Total credit limits: $62,150, In the garden from 12/19/2014, AAoA : 7 months, Oldest account: 8 months, Newest account: 1 week, HP: 18.
Message 22 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

When calling for a recon, don't bother with small talks or don't come across as cocky because you  want the card as they are NOT obligated to approve you.  Always be polite and the key to a successful recon is to LISTEN to the their responses when they are not willing to approve.  That way, you can plan well, have answers to the concerns the 1st analyst brings up before calling again.  Feeling entitled won't get you anywhere.

When you call, always start by saying...

" Hi, I applied for x card and I was wondering if there is further infomation needed to process my application".  That opening should prompt them to want to pull up the application and see exactly what is going.  It is nice to to chit chat but get straight to the point of the call and ALWAYS BE NICE AND FRIENDLY..

Also, if you spoke to analyst the 1st time and have to to do a 2nd recon, Never ever say I called before and the 1st analyst declined me... Let the 2nd analyst figure it out and do not volunteer infomation unless asked.

Message 23 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the tips in this thread! I just had my first attempted recon call and I took some of these into account, I think it went fairly well. The agent was very pleasant and said it will take 24-48 hours for a response, so I'll find out early next week if it was successful.

Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

When calling for a recon, don't bother with small talks or don't come across as cocky because you  want the card as they are NOT obligated to approve you.  Always be polite and the key to a successful recon is to LISTEN to the their responses when they are not willing to approve.  That way, you can plan well, have answers to the concerns the 1st analyst brings up before calling again.  Feeling entitled won't get you anywhere.

" Hi, I applied for x card and I was wondering if there is further infomation needed to process my application".  That opening should prompt them to want to pull up the application and see exactly what is going.  It is nice to to chit chat but get straight to the point of the call and ALWAYS BE NICE AND FRIENDLY..

Also, if you spoke to analyst the 1st time and have to to do a 2nd recon, Never ever say I called before and the 1st analyst declined me... Let the 2nd analyst figure it out and do not volunteer infomation unless asked.

I've done two recons, Barlcays and eBates, and that is exactly my opening line. 

Message 25 of 32
budwiser
Contributor

Great topic!

I have to say that in the beginning my score was low and my first recon was for a chase freedom card. At the time I had 2 medical collections. Also 1 30 day late for a car payment. Called Chase and had a really nice lady. I was nervouse and overcame that with chit chat. How are you, weather normal everyday life stuff that people can relate to.

She asked me about the CO's that I had and I explained them to her in datail. She asked about my 30 day late and I explained that as well. She gave an approval with a $500.00 credit limit. She told me to make my payments on time and I would be able to get an increase in credit limit.That was 5 years ago.  As of now, my limit is $11,500 on my Freedom card. Woo hoo.

Just act natural, talk to them as they are a friend. Don't talk about work until you have made them feel they can trust you.

Message 26 of 32
stellar
Established Contributor

I love how everyone has their own little twist on it.  Very interesting and useful info.

Message 27 of 32
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

Yea Hi...I just applied for your CC and the congratulations screen didnt pop up?!?  So I was calling to let you know your computer is broke!!

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 28 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay reconned twice, didn't work for me, yet lol. They simply say we need to see at least one year of credit history and stand on that point. How many times can you recon? After you've gone through all of their credit analysts? Smiley Very Happy
Message 29 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Gotta say, this is exactly what I ended up doing the other night when I reconned my Barclay's RM. 

I think I would still attempt my other approach if I got a firm denial. Since this was the 7 - 10 day message, I found your advice perfectly fit the situation, so thank you for sharing!

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.