Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just don't get it... NFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just don't get it... NFCU

The last credit card I've opened was the NFCU Platinum Visa back at the end of January for $1K. On May 2nd I was denied a CI, with the main reason being "delinquent past or present credit obligations" (?). I only have one Cap1 account that has lates, but the last one was 15 months ago, way before NFCU even approved me for the card. My EQ FICO 9 was 617, about 57 pts lower than my EQ FICO 8. How could I have been approved for the card initially, but now I don't qualify for an increase, when my scores are higher than they were in January?!

Now here's what I don't get- my wife (who has a lower FICO 9 than me & has a bunch of medical collctions we're working through) just got approved for the GoRewards card with a $15K limit! There is no rhyme or reason to this madness... =/

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I just don't get it... NFCU

For CC apps NFCU uses TU but CLI is EQ.  It seems you have something different on your reports that might be on EQ that is not on TU.  Have you compared all three of your reports to check what is reporting on each one?  I'd bet there is something different there. 

If this is not the case you could always call NFCU and recon. 

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Might be time to review your reports and make sure nothing else has changed since you opened the account.  As to why you got 1K and your wife got 15K is always going to be a mystery.  It's possible you just hit the button early and try again later on with different results or maybe NFCU changed the requirements.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

For CC apps NFCU uses TU but CLI is EQ.  It seems you have something different on your reports that might be on EQ that is not on TU.  Have you compared all three of your reports to check what is reporting on each one?  I'd bet there is something different there. 

If this is not the case you could always call NFCU and recon. 

Good Luck!

Nope, I'm on top of it & there is nothing on my EQ report that is not on my TU report, that's what frustrates me! =/

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm pretty sure that Navy prefers applicants with less than stellar credit to wait 180 days before granting a CLI.  You might be eligible to open another card after 91 days and 3 statement cuts, but you'd be denied a CLI if you didn't wait 6 months.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Navy prefers applicants with less than stellar credit to wait 180 days before granting a CLI.  You might be eligible to open another card after 91 days and 3 statement cuts, but you'd be denied a CLI if you didn't wait 6 months.

Ahh, that might be it, thanx! My wife is an AU on my card, so maybe she benefitted from the 2nd card theory. I think I'll just go back in the garden for a while. I really want the NFCU AMEX card, but I will hold off for now...

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might benefit from reading the last few pages of this thread:  Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

Message 7 of 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The last credit card I've opened was the NFCU Platinum Visa back at the end of January for $1K. On May 2nd I was denied a CI, with the main reason being "delinquent past or present credit obligations" (?). I only have one Cap1 account that has lates, but the last one was 15 months ago, way before NFCU even approved me for the card. My EQ FICO 9 was 617, about 57 pts lower than my EQ FICO 8. How could I have been approved for the card initially, but now I don't qualify for an increase, when my scores are higher than they were in January?!

Now here's what I don't get- my wife (who has a lower FICO 9 than me & has a bunch of medical collctions we're working through) just got approved for the GoRewards card with a $15K limit! There is no rhyme or reason to this madness... =/

It is never, ever a good idea to compare one’s credit profile with another,

especially with NFCU, because it could be a thousand and one reasons why DW was approved and you were not. It may be silly things like your income is much higher than hers, your DTI ratio is higher than hers, she’s never had a late where you had one 15 months ago; and as another poster said, different scores are used for different products. There are just to many variables that go into credit approvals and credit denials to make a

valid comparison. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hey Scooter🙋‍♂️ my favorite usernameSmiley Happy

McDoodlebutt👍
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.