cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I may have caught the apping disease, do I want AMEX?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I may have caught the apping disease, do I want AMEX?

I don't fly, but I do travel so 75000 choice privileges points wouldn't be bad.  And if I use it to pay for my rooms, it would effectively doubly my base room points.

I could fly my family to visit, but with Jet Blue ending that may be an issue. Am I correct in thinking a domestic round trip is roughly 25000 points?

Could make a family xmas trip easier on the kids (really me) than driving with them.

I have cards with much better rates and I wouldn't carry a balance anyway.

I resisted the urge all night...

Message 11 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

OP you need to stick to your gut. You said you don't need any more cards. Then you don't - regardless of bonus offer.

You will probably just end up spending more to make sure you get the bonus, defeating the purpose.

One's income only really allows them  to reasonably get use out of so many cards, especially when we're talking AF cards. If you don't need something, don't get it just because it's popular or because of a bonus. It sounds like deep down, you don't think you can justify it.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is this place? A war of which member has to be right? What about all the people here apping left and right for Ventures just for the big limits? How is that any different?

I am an extreme couponer, this is a decent deal.

There arent any ther cards out right now that would give this much of a bonus from one pull. I'm sorry but spending 2 grand to get over 1500 in rewards between two cards is a steal. Especially because OP flys. Heck of a lot better than blowing 3 grand for 200-400 with capital one.

You can cancel and avoid any annual fees on the charge card, or just down grade it to one that doesnt have one or has a lower one.

If the OP's score can absorb the new cards and inquiries, and has the income to support it, then go for it. If you dont want this or need to save money, then dont get it.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm the OP.  The spend is no problem for me, I run plenty of business expenses including fuel and travel through my hidden card each month. AAoA is 8 years with 18 being my oldest.

I'm trying to learn to make my cards work for me.  I've never looked into it previously, generally I hate credit cards.  But we all need to play the game.  3 plane tickets or a week in a hotel each year based upon my regular spending seems like a decent deal.  Based on my current spend I think I could knock down 5000-9000 points a month that I get a whopping $30-$60 back in cash rewards each month now.  Transactions arent a problem, I fill up with gas every day before work, that's 30 transactions in itself.  I guess I need to keep reading on rewards.  If anyone knows of a good link, please post it.

According to the estimator, 5 cards is optimal.  I like that I have no EX pulls in two years and this would work out for me to keep inquiries down.   Based on the fact that the AMEX offers don't get much better than what I was offered, its appealing.

The hardest part for me is I already have a USAA branded AMEX and AMEX still isn't accepted everywhere.  Thanks for everyone's input.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm the OP.  The spend is no problem for me, I run plenty of business expenses including fuel and travel through my hidden card each month. AAoA is 8 years with 18 being my oldest.

I'm trying to learn to make my cards work for me.  I've never looked into it previously, generally I hate credit cards.  But we all need to play the game.  3 plane tickets or a week in a hotel each year based upon my regular spending seems like a decent deal.  Based on my current spend I think I could knock down 5000-9000 points a month that I get a whopping $30-$60 back in cash rewards each month now.  Transactions arent a problem, I fill up with gas every day before work, that's 30 transactions in itself.  I guess I need to keep reading on rewards.  If anyone knows of a good link, please post it.

According to the estimator, 5 cards is optimal.  I like that I have no EX pulls in two years and this would work out for me to keep inquiries down.   Based on the fact that the AMEX offers don't get much better than what I was offered, its appealing.

The hardest part for me is I already have a USAA branded AMEX and AMEX still isn't accepted everywhere.  Thanks for everyone's input.

Believe me, I hate credit cards too. I made the mistake the last decade or two and just being anti everything. I had no clue what the potential was for earning rewards or bonuses. I have been an extreme couponer since 2012. I have learned a lot in the last few years. Being wealthy and couponing is not always a priority. But why not use the savings towards a retirement? Or just enjoy more of the good things in life?

My favorite sites for deals/rewards are: thepointsguy.com flyertalk.com slickdeals.net totallytarget.com cuckooforcoupondeals.net krazycouponlady.com reddit ebates.com livingrichwithcoupons (their database specifically)

Heck not long ago folks were buying $50 shell gas cards for only $25 bucks of their discover cash back...

Also, you may find some flights/trips to be much less if you book them out far in advance. Most of them give you a full point refund if canceled 48hrs before.

This will be an adjustment for you. The worst thing would be for you to get overwhelmed or just give up. Things wont always work out in the beginning. You will often find a better deal after the fact. Ya gotta act fast sometimes or else you could miss out on certain opportunities though.

It may be risky to run too many business expenses through a card that reports to your personal CR. An accountant would be better qualified to answer that. But for me personally, I have made quite a bit just on the quicksilver and reimbursing for expenses...plus all the hhonors points I earned and delta miles.

I would maybe research this for the rest of the week.  Find out what major airline hubs are near you. Make sure there arent any better partner specific deals.  There is a great calculator that lets you input your monthly spend. Break it down by categories, and it shows you the best deal.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/new-to-miles-points-start-here/

Just be aware many of these deal sites do get a kickback for what they are doing for referrals. Many of the sites will be honest and say there is a better targeted deal and to not try their click through link first.

Sounds like you have the potential here to earn a lot of free trips.  We can keep this going if you have more questions. I may learn something myself along the way.

GOOD LUCK

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love to get that EDP offer....more bonus points + AF waived? AMEX has some real nice target offers....now how to get targetted...Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.