Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I never got an CLI with Amex Delta and Discover

tag
murat533
Established Member

I never got an CLI with Amex Delta and Discover

Hi guys,

I have a discover which graduated from secured card and gave me $2000 three years ago and got stuck there.I pay off every month and never report a balance.I have been requesting CLI and it keeps getting decline.Also I have Amex Delta Platinum with $1000 limit for 3 years and never got increase.My current scores are exp-689 equifax 695 and Transunion 714.They all have so many inquiries and 5 paid Derogatory 5 years old.AAA is 4 years 4 months.2 Auto loans which has been paying on time and 2 personal loans which has been paying on time.

How do I get an CLi on these cards?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: I never got an CLI with Amex Delta and Discover

Amex I don't have any experience with, but for Discover there really isn't a set technique or tip for getting them to open up.  They can be very generous to some people and stingy with others.  If you have high usage or low usage, if they're your daily driver or just get maintenance swipes, they may or may not grant a CLI.  I think the best you can really do with them is use their card in whatever way is normal for you, keep working on improving your credit profile, and request CLI's as regularly as you feel like bothering with it.  With regards to your credit profile, you say you have "so many inquiries" on your reports, so, depending on how many it is on the one they're SPing, that may be keeping them tight due to the appearance of credit-seeking.  Letting them age may help your chances.

Message 2 of 12
Heatt99
Frequent Contributor

What does the denial letter state? Address at least 2 of those, and you should be in a better situation.

With Amex, they like spend, spend, and paying a large balance off. Leave a $300 or more balance, then pay it off. That might trigger an increase.

Message 3 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@murat533 wrote:

Hi guys,

I have a discover which graduated from secured card and gave me $2000 three years ago and got stuck there.I pay off every month and never report a balance.I have been requesting CLI and it keeps getting decline.Also I have Amex Delta Platinum with $1000 limit for 3 years and never got increase.My current scores are exp-689 equifax 695 and Transunion 714.They all have so many inquiries and 5 paid Derogatory 5 years old.AAA is 4 years 4 months.2 Auto loans which has been paying on time and 2 personal loans which has been paying on time.

How do I get an CLi on these cards?

Thanks.

Discover actually likes seeing a balance. If you have anything to bt to them , even if a couple of months , it could help shake out a cli. That can help show them usage and need in one shot.

Message 4 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

To add all my recent rejection letters state usage too low over last couple months.

Message 5 of 12
murat533
Established Member

I always max them out and pay them off before the statement cut and report 0 balance.Amex denial letter says" My fico score " and discover says "Serious delinquency, too many recent inquiries and recently opened too many accounts".These shouldn't be real factor because when discover graduate my credit profile was way worse and not in a much better shape.

Message 6 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Well it seems spend isnt issue its whatever they consider seeious deliquency. That will put a damper on everything. 

Message 7 of 12
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Does Amex give you specific reason codes, other than just saying it's your score?  For Discover, it sounds like you at least need to garden for a while to let your inq's, new accounts, and derogs age.  Depending on what kind of derogs you have, you could also look at trying to address them with a goodwill campaign while you wait.  Unsecuring your card and giving you a CLI likely have different UW criteria, so it's not strange that they would do one but not the other, even if your scores have improved.

Message 8 of 12
murat533
Established Member

Same reason. So many inquiries, serious delinquency, new accounts.I paid off all my charge offs and I dont owe anything now.My Target card use to give me CLI every 4 months $300 but they stopped too 1.5 year ago.It is stuck at $2000 now.

Message 9 of 12
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Paid charge-offs still count as "serious delinquency" as far as reason codes go.  You don't owe on a defaulted trade line any more, but that the account got to that status is still on your reports.  I don't think there's really anything you can do with paid charge-offs other than let them age, so it looks like gardening really is the main thing you need to do.  You said the charge-offs are five years old so, if you don't have any other derogs, that reason code should be gone in two years.  Codes for inquiries and new accounts should disappear sooner if you wait a year from your most recent app before apping for anything else.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.