Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income requirement for Citi Premier

tag
villemiami
Regular Contributor

Income requirement for Citi Premier

I just got denied for a Citi Premier card because I didn't meet the income requirement. I put $10,000 as my income. I put $300 under "rent, monthly payment". In fact, I'm a condo owner and I have no mortgage, my monthly maintenance fee is $300. Should have I put $0 instead under "rent, monthly payment"?

They told me that I can reapply later. Can I reapply later and put $0 under rent? If yes, when can I reapply?

I already have a Citi Costco card. Here are my scores:

FICO 8
equifax: 773
experian: 767
transunion: 747

I am disappointed because I wanted to buy a new car, so I was looking for a card that would give me a good signup bonus if I spend a minimum of money in a few months (with the Premier, it's $4000 in the first 3 months of opening).

So if I don't reapply later, which other card requires a minimum of money spent in the first months and give a good bonus?

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Income requirement for Citi Premier

What is your annual income?

10K - 3600/yr - taxes if any = not much to spend or be able to pay

Most cards IIRC have a minimum annual gross of 15K or higher.

I would suggest at least 30 days between apps for your reports to update at a minimum. 

The minimum would probably fall under 1/8 which is 1 card per 8 day period

Message 2 of 26
villemiami
Regular Contributor

I'm a single father of 2 kids, my annual income (self employed) is $10,000. But I don't have a rent or mortgage to pay, I pay $300 of maintenance fee for my condo.

I will wait 1 month before reapplying, and this time, I will put $0 under "rent/monthly payment".

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think 10K is really going to cut it for an approval here.

Message 4 of 26
villemiami
Regular Contributor

It worked for my other cards, why not for this one?

I think this time it didn't work because I forgot that I should have put $0 under monthly payment.

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't hurt to try but, Citi minimum income requirements may rule it out.  Now that you put the $300 on there they'll still have a record of that info when you apply again.  Apps in general are a gamble anyway.... 

What does your current use look like on the cards you have listed? 

Are you PIF or carrying balances?  

Looks like you picked up 4 cards in 2018 and the youngest is just shy of a year now.

Message 6 of 26
villemiami
Regular Contributor

I have a Citi Costco card. Are requirements different for the Citi Premier?

I am PIF.

Here are the latest statement balances:

Barclays Aadvantage: $210

American Express Delta: $9.95

Chase United: $10

Citi Costco: $8.55

Bank of America Air France: $161.72

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Premier and Costco are different in that one is a Legacy product and the other is a co-brand.  co-brand cards tend to have lower requirements depending on the deal the lender makes with the brand.

As to carrying a balance each month on ALL of your cards you're shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to points.  Ideally you would only have 1 card reporting any balances.  Also, you want the reportable balance under 8.9% to make the most points each month.

With this in mind I would bring the balances down to $0 on all but 1 card and then let them cycle through and update on your reports.  This will also look better if you have to call Citi for a recon showing even with a 10K income you're keeping things to a minimum and not struggling to pay them each month.

Dropping the ratio of cards being used out of total cards will put you in the best possible light when it comes to apps.  You might even hit 800's across the board as well.  You have good scores but, that's not the only thing they're looking at on apps.

Message 8 of 26
villemiami
Regular Contributor

On the Barclays card, statement balance is on the 24th of the month, and I pay the full balance every 15th of the month. Should I change my payment date? If yes, to when?

FICO 8 scores 03/2024
EX-728
EQ-796
TU-772
Message 9 of 26
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

actually they are both legacy cards being costco and premier..  Citi has two sides legacy and retail and costco falls under retail.  Costco is a co-branded relationship, but still a legacy card when it comes to how they seperate their portfolio.  Where-as a card like Best Buy visa or Macy's etc would be on their retail side.  Granted costco isn't a core card such as DC, Simplicity, premiere, etc..  but it is a legacy card side of their business

whether 10k income is enough to get past their UW on the premier card is another story though as meant to be a travel card and might have a bit of different UW that costco, but unless we work for citi we don't know their UW difference if any.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.