Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income requirement for Citi Premier

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Income requirement for Citi Premier

Agreed with the above - my understanding (admittedly only as a Citi card carrier with Home Depot) was that the Premier is one of their top line cards and as such, may have more stringent requirements for approval. If so, income is likely to be one of those, especially if it’s seen as a travel card, since travel often denotes surplus income.
Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

On $10K income, that's ~$834 a month and $300 would make ~36% DTI and would be a good reason to deny a credit card. Depending on how many of your cards were reporting a balance at the time, you would have even higher DTI. Just one $35 minimum payment pushes you beyond 40% which is where lenders start to get worried with much higher incomes. Those of us who have lower incomes run into problems much easier. A lot of banks and credit unions will jump at the opportunity to get us stuck paying interest but with the annual fee cards, I suspect they are a lot more selective. I have $10K cards and I highly doubt Chase would give me a CSR with my $18K income, for example. 

Message 12 of 26
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Years ago, Citi denied me based on income -vs- current obligations. ( To be fair, my filed suxed at the time ) Im stiil gun shy when it comes to Citi and havnt apped for any Citi card since

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

On $10K income, that's ~$834 a month and $300 would make ~36% DTI and would be a good reason to deny a credit card. Depending on how many of your cards were reporting a balance at the time, you would have even higher DTI. Just one $35 minimum payment pushes you beyond 40% which is where lenders start to get worried with much higher incomes. Those of us who have lower incomes run into problems much easier. A lot of banks and credit unions will jump at the opportunity to get us stuck paying interest but with the annual fee cards, I suspect they are a lot more selective. I have $10K cards and I highly doubt Chase would give me a CSR with my $18K income, for example. 

You have a 10k CL with 18k income Wow! didn't think that was possible. 

I just got denied for a CL from $1500 to $3000 at WF depsite paying in full each month with similar income. 

Message 14 of 26
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@credit-user-19 wrote:

I just got denied for a CL from $1500 to $3000 at WF depsite paying in full each month with similar income.
———————————-

It’s difficult to fully compare two profiles and situations on MyFico because there are so many variables we don’t have room or time to disclose. There is a LOT more than income than goes into the underwriting on a CLI.

For starters, that would include credit scores, age and depth of credit history, derogatories and baddies, payment history with ALL lenders, debt-to-income (credit cards plus all other including student loans, car loans, mortgages).

Individual lenders have much different standards. For example, it appears @Saeren has highest limits with Discover and Navy Federal, which are both known to be very generous lenders. Your comparison to a Wells Fargo Card isn’t equal because they are known for being a more conservative lender.

You have two cards while @Saeren has shown the ability to manage more credit successfully. That is part of the depth of file.

Spending history has an effect. If someone has concentrated spending on a card, used much of their limit in the past and paid it off responsibly, it increases the chance of a CLI.

Finally, relationship may matter, especially with some lenders. If @Saeren has a checking account and a $5k CD with Bank X and has used them responsibly, that bank may sometimes give more leeway to requests for credit cards or CLIs.

When you try to make comparisons on MyFico, realize there are many factors at play besides what we see on the surface.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High wrote:
@credit-user-19 wrote:

———————————-

It’s difficult to fully compare two profiles and situations on MyFico because there are so many variables we don’t have room or time to disclose. There is a LOT more than income than goes into the underwriting on a CLI.

For starters, that would include credit scores, age and depth of credit history, derogatories and baddies, payment history with ALL lenders, debt-to-income (credit cards plus all other including student loans, car loans, mortgages).

Individual lenders have much different standards. For example, it appears @Saeren has highest limits with Discover and Navy Federal, which are both known to be very generous lenders. Your comparison to a Wells Fargo Card isn’t equal because they are known for being a more conservative lender.

You have two cards while @Saeren has shown the ability to manage more credit successfully. That is part of the depth of file.

Spending history has an effect. If someone has concentrated spending on a card, used much of their limit in the past and paid it off responsibly, it increases the chance of a CLI.

Finally, relationship may matter, especially with some lenders. If @Saeren has a checking account and a $5k CD with Bank X and has used them responsibly, that bank may sometimes give more leeway to requests for credit cards or CLIs.

When you try to make comparisons on MyFico, realize there are many factors at play besides what we see on the surface.

All very good and valid points. It's just surprising that level of credit with that income. Wouldn't think it's possible and you'd be cut off at some point well before that regardless of credit history based purely on income. Guess some lenders are extremely lax. 

Perhaps someday it's possible for me Smiley Happy 

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My success is nothing. AJC has a $25K and $20K card with around the same income. 

Some lenders are very comfortable with high exposure. 

$33,500 - Sync ($6K Amazon, $8K PayPal CB, $7500 B&H Payboo, $10K CareCredit, $2K Marvel)
$18,250 - Capital One ($8250 QS, $10K SavorOne)

$15,700 - Discover ($12,700 IT, $3K IT Miles)

$15,200 - NFCU ($2K cashRewards, $12,700 Platinum, $500 CLOC)

Nobody else has me at $10K+ exposure with them and I doubt that I'll get there for a few more years except with AMEX. 

Keep in mind that high limits are certainly possible but Synchrony and Disco can and will CLD if you're using too much. NFCU and Capital One don't care if you max out your limits though. 

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High wrote:
@credit-user-19 wrote:

———————————-

Yeah I don't have any assets with any bank. Not allowed to. I have $200 in my primary bank (who I have no credit with) and about $100 spread around NFCU, BBVA, and DCU. It's certainly not that. 😂 

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:
@credit-user-19 wrote:

———————————-

Yeah I don't have any assets with any bank. Not allowed to. I have $200 in my primary bank (who I have no credit with) and about $100 spread around NFCU, BBVA, and DCU. It's certainly not that. 😂 

I keep a decent chunk with WF. Never once had a bounced check a returned depoit in the years i've been with them. Maybe the only reason they've extended me any credit at all. 

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

WF definitely likes a good depository relationship, especially with young files. 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.