Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info on criteria to qualify for specific AMEX cards in 2018

tag
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

Info on criteria to qualify for specific AMEX cards in 2018

Based on the suggestions fro this forum, I have been checking the AMEX pre-qualifying website about once a month. A day ago, I was finally was able to see several pre-approved offers.

Specifically, I was pre-approved for:

• Amex EveryDay
  • Delta
  • Green charge card

I pulled the trigger got approved for Green charge card.

My Experian FICO 8 score was 669 at the time so I was right at the border.

My questions are:

1. Do I stand a chance of getting approved for a Platinum charge card? I know it's expensive but I always wanted to have it.
  2. Will AMEX use the same score or will they re-pull my credit if I apply for any other card within 1 week?
  3. If I stand no chance, how long should I wait before applying for Platinum card?
  4. What other specific cards should I consider given my FICO score and the fact that this my first AMEX.

(The reason I am interested primarily in charge cards at the moment is because I know I will not qualify for a high credit limit given my 669 EX FICO 8 score. :-) Once several of my negative items fall off next year, I should get a 100 point boost, which will put me into a much better position).

Thanks in advance!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Info on criteria to qualify for specific AMEX cards in 2018

@seattlecredit08 wrote:

Based on the suggestions fro this forum, I have been checking the AMEX pre-qualifying website about once a month. A day ago, I was finally was able to see several pre-approved offers.

Specifically, I was pre-approved for:

• Amex EveryDay
  • Delta
  • Green charge card

I pulled the trigger got approved for Green charge card.

My Experian FICO 8 score was 669 at the time so I was right at the border.

My questions are:

1. Do I stand a chance of getting approved for a Platinum charge card? I know it's expensive but I always wanted to have it.
  2. Will AMEX use the same score or will they re-pull my credit if I apply for any other card within 1 week?
  3. If I stand no chance, how long should I wait before applying for Platinum card?
  4. What other specific cards should I consider given my FICO score and the fact that this my first AMEX.

(The reason I am interested primarily in charge cards at the moment is because I know I will not qualify for a high credit limit given my 669 EX FICO 8 score. :-) Once several of my negative items fall off next year, I should get a 100 point boost, which will put me into a much better position).

Thanks in advance!!!

The underwriting for the Charge cards is all the same, so if you got Green then Platinum should be good too.   If you pull up the cards page and click on apply and it says you are pre-approved then your good.. if it says extend your membership, then it's possible, but i wouldnt try it. I got approved for my Plat at 669.   they really arent that hard to get now. seems like over 665 and willing to pay a 550AF and you can get it. 

once you have some history with them, it's all SP.   my first two cards (within a month of each other) were both HP. EX was 635 then. I haven't had an HP from Amex since. 

Message 2 of 6
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the reply!

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Platinum charge card and was approved.

When I was applying, I did see "Extend your membership" message but nonetheless the application was approved.

Thanks!!

Message 3 of 6
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Congratulations on the Platinum card ! There is no reason for having Two charge cards. I recommend calling CSR and closing the Green card.

Message 4 of 6
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

@PointsBonus wrote:
Congratulations on the Platinum card ! There is no reason for having Two charge cards. I recommend calling CSR and closing the Green card.

Does anyone know -- if I close the Green card within the first month, will it report? 

Ideally, it would be nice if the closed card which was opened for just few days never reports, thus not impacting my AAofA.

Am I safe closing it?

Thanks!!

Message 5 of 6
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

enedRe: Info on criteria to qualify for specific AMEX cards in 2018

I opened a PRG card and closed it within 3 days and never reported, I never even got the card.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.