Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting experience applying for AMEX BCP; SUB Pop Up Denial

tag
GoalCrus
Valued Member

Interesting experience applying for AMEX BCP; SUB Pop Up Denial

I attempted to apply for the AMEX BCP referral today via a referral link for $300 cash back. Well before I could get even get excited I got the infamous pop up that stated:

"...based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer."

I tried incognito, all that and nothing worked. The pop up showed up every time to inform me that I could proceed with my application however, I would not get the SUB.

Here's where it gets interesting...

I called in to see if maybe processing over the phone would help (although I already read it likely wouldn't) and the rep proceeded to explain to me why I didn't qualify.  But this is what got my attention..." It's not just American Express. You are being compared to a database across ALL your cards and how many offers you have received."

Wait. WHAT?!

So the decision whether to allow me to participate in the 'welcome offer' is based not only on my accounts with American Express but my activity on my accounts with Chase, Citibank, Discover, etc.?

He tried to backtrack a but I think he slipped up by letting me know they're in cahoots.

So what do you guys think?

Have all the banks banded together to develop a 'Blacklist"  of sorts in an effort to eliminate churners?

That's too bad that they won't allow me to receive the SUB on this. I really like the card categories...but there is definitely no rush. I'll need to do the math again to make sure it will benefit me in the long run with the $95 annual fee.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Interesting experience applying for AMEX BCP; SUB Pop Up Denial

Well this is an interesting piece of information. I can't wait to hear what others have to say and if they have come across this. Thanks so much for sharing.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whether or not this is the case is a big IF statement to be made by a front line rep.  I wouldn't take it seriously.

Now, I know I get the popup because I take AMEX for all they're worth on bonuses for new accounts / upgrades.

How many Amex accounts do you have in the past year?

Message 3 of 7
GoalCrus
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Whether or not this is the case is a big IF statement to be made by a front line rep.  I wouldn't take it seriously.

Now, I know I get the popup because I take AMEX for all they're worth on bonuses for new accounts / upgrades.

How many Amex accounts do you have in the past year?

Two biz accounts in the last year. One personal for about 15 months.

Personal

Delta Gold - April 2018

Business

BBP - 10/18

SPG Biz - 10/18

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My guess from experience is that it's the new Biz accounts that have SUB's tied to them in addition to the personal only 6 months prior.  I would suggest waiting until Oct when the accounts hit 1 year of age if the bonus is the prioriry and not the 6% on Groceries.

Or, take the BCE for now w/ the lower bonus and wait a year for the upgrade e-mail to arrive offering about the same as a new bonus for a prorated AF.  I've taken the upgrade offer a few times now and it's always $200+ and the prorate is usually about $50 instead of the full $95 up front.

Message 5 of 7
GoalCrus
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

My guess from experience is that it's the new Biz accounts that have SUB's tied to them in addition to the personal only 6 months prior.  I would suggest waiting until Oct when the accounts hit 1 year of age if the bonus is the prioriry and not the 6% on Groceries.

Or, take the BCE for now w/ the lower bonus and wait a year for the upgrade e-mail to arrive offering about the same as a new bonus for a prorated AF.  I've taken the upgrade offer a few times now and it's always $200+ and the prorate is usually about $50 instead of the full $95 up front.

• No sub on the BBP, but 0% intro rate for 12months.
  • SPG had a 60k SUB.

I still use both cards frequently.

The 6% on groceries (& streaming) is the priority but the SUB offsets the AF for THREE WHOLE YEARS. 

I'll consider getting anyway and the BCE, but wondering if I'll get snubbed for that as well.

Thanks for the info!

Message 6 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Any chance a bank($) can find away to keep more profit without giving it my guess is theyll do it lol. Wouldnt suprise me one bit if there was a cabalSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.