Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invited to Apply for the Petal CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Invited to Apply for the Petal CC

I have one question and one question only: Is it an HP if you’re accepted?

I’ve searched the forums and all I could find was a single user who accepted the invitation and received an HP from EX. Just curious to see if anyone else has had an experience with Petal.
Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: Invited to Apply for the Petal CC

Curious as well. I also received this invitation today. I doubt that i'll apply as I went through the pre-qualify questions and was determined not to be a good fit. Also, i've since aquired "better" cards that fit my spend. However, would like to hear from others that applied and were approved - do they have difficult/strict underwriting?

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 2 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the invite as well and am also curious. One thing I noticed is that it says under how it works is..."Link your bank account." 

I am a bit apprehensive on that front just to SEE if I'm approved. Waiting for any brave souls to try it lol

Message 3 of 50
CGeorge
Frequent Contributor

For the right person, the Petal appears to be a perfect solution...

https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-cards/i/petal-card-review/

Message 4 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the name of science, I went ahead and accepted the invitation, which is essentially a prequalification process. They get all your essentials like ID and SSN, then they ask about the relationships you have with institutions like BOA, Citi, AMEX, US Bank, etc. Yes they will ask for each and every one of your banking login credentials so caveat emptor. 

After submitting all that they’ll tell you whether or not you’re preapproved for the card. I wasn’t so the whole process didn’t count as an application of credit and therefore no dings to my score. They SP’d Experian. Strangely the score they pulled was 699, which not only doesn’t match any of my various EX scores but is significantly off from my EX FICO8 score of 722, and my EX Bankcard 8 and 9 scores, which are both 726. My guess is that the HP part comes if you make it to preapproval and accept.

The reason given for my rejection was “Your cash flow exhibits a higher risk transaction pattern.” I honestly don’t know what this means. I have cards from all the majors and my bank accounts always holds five figures. Income is 91k, UTI 3%, 4 INQ’s on EX, no BKs or lates, ever.

So, an interesting exercise, but a no go for me. Good luck to any who apply.

Message 5 of 50
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In the name of science, I went ahead and accepted the invitation, which is essentially a prequalification process. They get all your essentials like ID and SSN, then they ask about the relationships you have with institutions like BOA, Citi, AMEX, US Bank, etc. Yes they will ask for each and every one of your banking login credentials so caveat emptor. 

After submitting all that they’ll tell you whether or not you’re preapproved for the card. I wasn’t so the whole process didn’t count as an application of credit and therefore no dings to my score. They SP’d Experian. Strangely the score they pulled was 699, which not only doesn’t match any of my various EX scores but is significantly off from my EX FICO8 score of 722, and my EX Bankcard 8 and 9 scores, which are both 726. My guess is that the HP part comes if you make it to preapproval and accept.

The reason given for my rejection was “Your cash flow exhibits a higher risk transaction pattern.” I honestly don’t know what this means. I have cards from all the majors and my bank accounts always holds five figures. Income is 91k, UTI 3%, 4 INQ’s on EX, no BKs or lates, ever.

So, an interesting exercise, but a no go for me. Good luck to any who apply.

With your income and profile  i wouldnt be  shooting for a card that wants all your bank info with no assurance of approval.  Sounds sketch to me but then again i dont have alot of money anywaySmiley Wink

Message 6 of 50
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

With your income and profile  i wouldnt be  shooting for a card that wants all your bank info with no assurance of approval.  Sounds sketch to me but then again i dont have alot of money anywaySmiley Wink

There is NOT a card in this world that I would app for if I had to give up all my CC and banking LOG IN DETAILS!

Nope, Nada, It ain't happenin'. bf-tomuchinfo.gif

Message 7 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

What can I say? I’m a thrillseeker. Maybe when the class action data breach suit comes I’ll get a free Petal card as compensation.

You both make perfectly valid points of course. I guess my curiosity got the better of me. C’est la plastique.
Message 8 of 50
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol PikaSmiley Wink

Thanks for being the Guinea pig OpSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 50
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

+1000 AJC
This is truly an invitation for a college student and/or someone with very limited income and a nonbank CC.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.