Re: Is Citi a conservative lender?

Conservative in SL? Most definitely!
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

Conservative regarding credit lines, approvals and APR's. 

Message 3 of 20
Gmood1
Super Contributor

They do seem new accounts sensitive. From reading other members responses, the given APRs are higher than you'd think for a tier 1 score. Honestly the APRs don't concern me as I do not carry balances unless it's 0%. I don't even know what the APR is for my one and only Citi card. Lol
Message 4 of 20
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

I tend to lean to this answer also.

Starting out what? some 3 years ago i still recall accepting a Citi mailer for the CDP card and was issued a soft $800 SL which was par for the course given my profile was very young and early in my building phase.

Opting away from any HP's during this time i have taken the SP CLI route with them ever since and today find my limit standing at an ok $6400.

Conservative? Indeed so but IMHO only as concern their introductory cards which they have many. You can probably step right into the mix with them and see a better start line if you're interested and can make good use of some of their higher tier cards which carry an AF.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

Starting out what? some 3 years ago i still recall accepting a Citi mailer for the CDP card and was issued a soft $800 SL which was par for the course given my profile was very young and early in my building phase.

Opting away from any HP's during this time i have taken the SP CLI route with them ever since and today find my limit standing at an ok $6400.

Conservative? Indeed so but IMHO only as concern their introductory cards which they have many. You can probably step right into the mix with them and see a better start line if you're interested and can make good use of some of their higher tier cards which carry an AF.

I think they're conservative in credit limits depending on the card.  While they tend to give out low limits for cards like the DC and Preferred on other ones like Prestige, AA Executive and even the AA card they will give out hefty starting limits. Of course everything is dependent on your overall profile but Citi has been very generous to me with their limits,

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for Diamond Perferred and was approved for 1K. Called and asked for a CLI upon activation. Got a HP and a lousy $500 increase. Just closed the card yesterday.

When I was approved 3 months ago my EQ FICO 8 was 730, had 9 inqs, 5% util and ZERO baddies, AAOA was 3.4 years.

I will never apply for their products again.
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

I think they're conservative in credit limits depending on the card.  While they tend to give out low limits for cards like the DC and Preferred on other ones like Prestige, AA Executive and even the AA card they will give out hefty starting limits. Of course everything is dependent on your overall profile but Citi has been very generous to me with their limits,

Makes sense. Believe it or not... Or I guess at least in my opinion, their higher cards (those that aren't bottom level or introductory) are for those who have a good income or those who really, really travel a ton, so I could see Citi being less cautious with those customers.

The Prestige, AAdvantage Executive World Elite,  and the Hilton HHonors are the only cards I could see Citi giving a gernous credit line to. 

Message 8 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I agree with my limited time with Citi either their cards like DC, only one i have tbh, and even on their cobranded. Im sure your profile is a big factor as well but so far even if you are doing everything right and ask for cli to improve your current cl, sometimes they just dont budge and dont even counter. This has been my experience my last two times requesting cli for my DC and my Best Buy. Its worse when you use up a hp and have nothing to show for it Smiley Sad . But id also imagine perhaps my income also prevents me from going any higher but i guess thats why they are Citi, not SynchronySmiley Happy
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I agree with my limited time with Citi either their cards like DC, only one i have tbh, and even on their cobranded. Im sure your profile is a big factor as well but so far even if you are doing everything right and ask for cli to improve your current cl, sometimes they just dont budge and dont even counter. This has been my experience my last two times requesting cli for my DC and my Best Buy. Its worse when you use up a hp and have nothing to show for it Smiley Sad . But id also imagine perhaps my income also prevents me from going any higher but i guess thats why they are Citi, not SynchronySmiley Happy

Up next, the Synchrony Double and a Half Cash Back Card. 1% when you buy, 1.5% when you make more than the minimum payment every month. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.