Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Citi's 6-month CLI rule firm?

tag
slither43
Regular Contributor

Re: Is Citi's 6-month CLI rule firm?

Would this also apply to your initial CLI? Or am I unlikely to have any success before the first 6 month period? I seem to recall seeing somewhere about getting the first CLI as soon as 60 or 90 days. Just cusious...

Message 11 of 23
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@slither43 wrote:

Would this also apply to your initial CLI? Or am I unlikely to have any success before the first 6 month period? I seem to recall seeing somewhere about getting the first CLI as soon as 60 or 90 days. Just cusious...

Actually I got my first CLI just a month or so after the account opened. So no, the 6-month rule doesn't apply to the first CLI.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a firm rule for Citi SP CLIs. 

If one is willing to take a HP, they can request it at any point after a SP CLI to try and get more.  This could literally be the same day as receiving a SP CLI, the day after, etc.

The 6 month rule between SP CLIs doesn't apply to new accounts, as a "SL" is not a CL post-CLI.  A CLI was not received yet on a SL, so there are cases where someone has bumped up their SL via SP CLI inside 6 months at (say) 3-4 months.

Message 13 of 23
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Just to add more data points, both of my Citi cards had CLIs at the 2-3 month mark after opening, but further SP CLIs were always denied if I asked prior to 6 months, but always approved as long as it had been 6 months.  I have it marked on my calendar to ask on my Rewards+ card again in 35 days.

Message 14 of 23
MICHAELM30
Established Member

I don't think so, I requested and was approved for a cli on both my DC and Costco within 3 months from my last approved request. Figured i give it try seeing as its only a soft pull anyway. Give it a try. 

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I got a CLi about two mon ths after I opened my Citi Diamond, only because it was in  the early days and I confused it with Amex's 61 day CLI. Got an increase anyways, but it reset the 6 month cloth from that date. So I'm not sure  wheher it was good idea or not, if I would have seen a larger increase had I  not done one at 60 days.

Recently tried a CLI with Citi and was denied, must have forgotten the last time I requested one. Or they're done giving me SP CLIs.

Guess I'll find out in 6 months.

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about if it’s a manual reallocation from one card to another?

@BBS: Didn’t you say Macy’s was 5000 every six months?
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BBS: Or was that Discover?
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't say either.  I've never posted about Macy's (I know nothing about it) and Discover and 6 months definitely have nothing to do with one another, as people with Discover accounts have reported SP CLIs as close together as 21 days apart.

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My bad BBS. I think its @AverageJoeCredit.
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.