Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Meijer switching banks?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Meijer switching banks?

So I recently tried applying for a Meijer credit card but the website that came up in a search on google said that it was down for maintenance, it’s been a few days and it’s still down. I checked Comenitys site and they don’t have the “apply now” link on the home page anymore, only the card benefits link. Sooo I’m wondering if they could be switching banks like Walmart recently did.
8 REPLIES 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Is Meijer switching banks?

Welcome @Anonymous . I tried to find an answer to your question. I searched all over. No news and links from vantage sites that offer the card leads to the sign in page. Nowhere is an apply site. So who knows. Didnt want you to think everyone was ignoring you. Call Comenity and ask whats up?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would be awesome if Synchrony buys them out.. I hate Comenity with a passion.

Message 3 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

That would be awesome if Synchrony buys them out.. I hate Comenity with a passion.

Not to burst a bubble but it was sold to Comenity from Synchrony years ago.  

@Anonymous  AFAIK, the portfolio is still being serviced by Comenity.  They took down the applications portal not long ago for an indetermined period.  You can check with them directly whether applications are still being accepted at the store or via phone, which may seem unlikely.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for trying! I will call them later to ask, hopefully they’ll have some answers because I’m super curious now.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I contacted Comenity and Meijer is indeed switching banks, they’ll be switching to Citibank.
Message 7 of 9
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

What to expect with Citi acquiring Meijer card?

I have a Meijer store card that I opened almost 2 years ago. It started at $500 and I got one increase to $980.
We know Citibank is taking over Meijer accounts sometime in 2020.
I know Citi wouldn’t approve me for a Best Buy or Sears Card because of my CH7, and number of inquiries.
I’ve never had a Citi Card before. My scores are in the mid 600’s. We know Comenity will approve people that Citi wouldn’t.
Does anyone think they’ll CLD or Close accounts for people that they wouldn’t ordinarily approve? Or consider I’ve always paid on time and let it slide?
Comenity never upgrades cards to Visa or Mastercard except maybe Ulta. Does Citi?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I contacted Comenity and Meijer is indeed switching banks, they’ll be switching to Citibank.

That's a big switch. 
Citi is typically more lenient on their retail cards for approvals vs their legacy cards. However, I don't think they'll be as lenient as Sync or Comenity. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.