Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is NFCU Platinum my garden exit? - UPDATE

tag
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

Is NFCU Platinum my garden exit? - UPDATE

As I mentioned in another post, I've been in the garden for over 2 years. During that time I've raised my CLs with no declines and minimal HPs. I just got my Amex BCP raised from 18K to 30K and I want to get my aggregate credit up, because I've been making some big purchases (all of them to my investment benefit). My CU is about to give me a debt consolidation loan that will wipe out the balances on three cards and drop my utilization.. I'm planning on making some strategic sales in December that will take a big chunk out of the loan.

I'm looking at NFCU Platinum. I think I could get a fairly decent SL and I like their 0% APR on BT's for a year, with no transfer fee.

I'd just like to hear random thoughts from forum members who are familiar with this card. Pros, cons and everything in between. Thanks.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is NFCU Platinum my garden exit?

If you are looking for a balance transfer card it is not impossible to beat but it is tough to beat. Keep in mind that NFCU will pay transfers with a physical check not an electronic transfer so allow time for that.

Message 2 of 19
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are looking for a balance transfer card it is not impossible to beat but it is tough to beat. Keep in mind that NFCU will pay transfers with a physical check not an electronic transfer so allow time for that.

Not true. I've done balance transfers with Navy before, and most payments to other accounts occur way faster than if they were to draft up a check, mail it, and allow time for it to clear and post to the other account. 

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

And when the BT promo runs out, free transfers @ 7.99% could come in very handy if ever needed.

Mine just came in the mail today. Instant approval last week for $25k with stats in my sig.
Message 4 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

My experience with Navy bts is they are not instsnt when transferring from other lenders. Its not a long wait but not like if i got direct deposit from Boa or Citi. Only thing ill add though Op may be confident in maybe getting a super high Navy limit like 25k, dont count your chickens until they're hatchedSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup... I was expecting decent SL's. Then got smacked in the face with $500 plat and a $500 cloc. Decemeber will be 6 months and I will try for a new card and see if they show luv. But not counting on it. Lol
Message 6 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@kshurika wrote:
As I mentioned in another post, I've been in the garden for over 2 years. During that time I've raised my CLs with no declines and minimal HPs. I just got my Amex BCP raised from 18K to 30K and I want to get my aggregate credit up, because I've been making some big purchases (all of them to my investment benefit). My CU is about to give me a debt consolidation loan that will wipe out the balances on three cards and drop my utilization.. I'm planning on making some strategic sales in December that will take a big chunk out of the loan.

I'm looking at NFCU Platinum. I think I could get a fairly decent SL and I like their 0% APR on BT's for a year, with no transfer fee.

I'd just like to hear random thoughts from forum members who are familiar with this card. Pros, cons and everything in between. Thanks.

I have it, and I love it, if you like low interest, no cash advance fee, and no balance transfer fee. You can even do cash advances online. As versatile as versatile gets.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 19
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

I think that, perhaps, I won't wait until next week to drive up to see the good folks at NFCU.

You all gave me exactly what I wanted. Thanks for your help.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am very pleased with my NFCU Platinum which I used for BT all my other cards with balances.  NO fees with a 15k SL and zero interest for 12 months will clear out the few cards that were killing me with interest.  All five of my transfers were within a few days so I am inclined to think this was all ACH and not paper checks mailed even though they say that's what will happen.  

Message 9 of 19
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

I remember awhile back I did a BT from I think Cap1 to my Plat, and it only took a couple days.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.