cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is getting a CapitalOne Quicksilver Credit Limit Increase from $400 to $2000 a lost cause?

tag
TampaBAY86
Regular Contributor

Re: Is getting a CapitalOne Quicksilver Credit Limit Increase from $400 to $2000 a lost cause?

@nwa479 wrote:

Not a lost cause but significant increases with Cap One seem rare.  I was shocked just last week from Cap 1 with an increase from 1k to 4K which I didn't ask for.  At the beginning of December I had 55 percent overall utilization and 85 percent on the Cap1 Quicksilver.  It also started in 2015 as a $300 CL platinum card that was product changed in 2017 to a Quicksilver.  I haven't asked for an increase since I was denied in 2017

This is closer to my experience than any of the other responses.  I opened the card at the end of 2016 with I believe $500 SL.  Over the years, I've had 6 or 7 increases and I've only asked for 1 of them.  They were doing auto-CLIs and I was never able to wait 6 full months to do them, except the one where I had started using the card less because I had just gotten my CFU.  Prior to that, I was running it up and paying down regularly due to the lower limit.  I believe it was mid-2018 when I started reading on here that I learned about product changes, and was able to switch it to a Quicksilver.  This past January, it went up to $3,750 from $2,500.

Some people will tell you it will never increase, but that just has not been my experience.  Sometimes it will be based on how someone's profile was at the time of application, but you said that is not the case for you.  The most likely situation is that they do not use the card regularly, in favor of better rewards.  I do not blame them for this, I do the same.  I do not expect mine to go up much from where it currently is, as I do not use it very often anymore.  I have my gym membership as a recurring charge on the card to make sure it keeps going.

To answer your original question, it is possible to do so provided you are using that card pretty much to the max and paying it off regularly.  They like to see spend on their cards.  From your post, I'm not sure what, if any, other cards you have and the earnings on them.  If you do not have anything better than the 1.5% cash back Quicksilver on all purchases, you may as well work that card and get it up while earning.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is getting a CapitalOne Quicksilver Credit Limit Increase from $400 to $2000 a lost cause?

@Anonymous I receveid the same card end of March last year with a $300 limit. It was bumped to I believe $500 with credit steps after 5-6 months of payments. I apped for a CLI at 6 months and they said no due to recent CLI, i assume that was the credit steps CLI. Then 2 months later they automatically bumbed me up to a $3,000 limit without asking. I used a bunch when i first got it then stopped because it was annoying to juggle with the low SL. So i went from $300 to $3,000 in about 9 months. I'll hit the CLI in July and see if they give me anymore once 6 more months has passed.

Message 12 of 15
nwa479
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous Thats a great increase in only 9 months from $300 to $3000.   Most people seem to be getting smaller increases.   I had both the QS1 and a the Quicksilver and only got an increase on the QS card from $1000 to $4000 recently.

Active cards

Goal Cards (Gardening until April 24)

My Fico Scores

Banks and Credit Unions:
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nwa479 i was stoked to say the least. I fully expected the card to be worthless but it had its purpose at the time. I'm going to keep hitting the CLI every 6 months until they tell me to go away lol. You also got a great increase! Congrats on that.

Message 14 of 15
nwa479
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous Thanks!  The increase I got was a big surprise too.  Another thing I just did with my Capital One card was book a car rental on Priceline and linked though the Capital One shopping feature. By using their shopping feature I'll get a statement credit of 4 to 6 percent for the rental. I'm not sure exactly how much the credit is. It'll vary by store. 

I need to also try for increases on my QS1 card.  It's at 1450 CL. 

Active cards

Goal Cards (Gardening until April 24)

My Fico Scores

Banks and Credit Unions:
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.