cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it better to ask for CLI's or just let them naturally happen?

tag
jonblaze24
New Contributor

Is it better to ask for CLI's or just let them naturally happen?

Pretty straight forward question. My Cap 1's, Discover, AMEX and Venmo Visa don't HP for CLI's....so does it make a difference if I request one every 5-6 months or as my credit builds more just let them happen? Based on all of my feedback from the companies directly, everything is computer/algorithm based....so I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong answer but just curious about feedback from those more experienced. 

Venmo 2x'd me about 3 months ago, and I just requested one last night and received another 2X. 

Amex 2.5x'd me on it's own about 3 months ago. 

Discover 1.5x'd me and approved me twice after asking. They have yet to increase on it's own, only when I ask. 

Capital 1- well, what do you guys think? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it better to ask for CLI's or just let them naturally happen?

It depends on CC and financial institution.

Some are good about auto increases, many more are not.

They feel if you don't ask you must not need it.

If higher CL's are something you are seeking and it's a SP,  I would ask every 6 months

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ask often. I see no good reason not to. The computer doesn't mind. 

I once got three straight Discover CLI and five in eight months. Then a long dry spell. Last month another CLI. In a couple of days I will ask again. I see no good reason not to. CLI are fun. I like fun.

Amex has rules to be followed. I mark my calendar to ask 1st day eligible. Amex CLI are fun. I like fun. I follow the calendar.

Capital One doesn't like me. I used to ask often. They would say I do not use the CL I already have. They are right. The cards sit dormant. Getting repeatedly told NO by Capital One is not fun. I like fun. I do not like Capital One. YMMV. 

Message 3 of 5
CreditMarathoner
Frequent Contributor

You could go either way.  Requesting CLIs will result in faster growth than waiting for auto-CLIs to happen.

If you want CLIs, request them.  If not, let them grow naturally.

I've never requested a CLI myself in the 30+ years I've had credit cards, but I'm fine with slow or no growth, and I'm a bit of an outlier here as well. Smiley Happy

Open Tradelines: 4 Revolvers, 1 Mortgage / Garden Start Date: 10/1/2021 / Garden Goal: don't have one right now
TCL: $26,500 / AAoA: 8y6m / AoYA: 1y5m / Inqs: 1EX 0TU 1EQ / FICO8 Feb 2023: 848(TU) 843(EX)
Message 4 of 5
SouthernCredit
Frequent Contributor

Ask every 6 months on any account that does not perform a HP for a CLI. Even if you think you won't get a CLI. Ask. There is no penalty for doing so as long as it's a soft pull. 

Auto-CLIs are very rare for most cards. I have 11 cards, and have only ever received auto increases from 2 (4 increases total over both cards). Both got extremely heavy spend during the periods that got increases. All my other increases have been initiated by me (and there have been a lot more than 4).

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.