cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is now the time to apply for Amex Delta card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is now the time to apply for Amex Delta card?

I’m pre-approved for all the Amex Delta cards and am wondering if now is the right time to grab one with the bigger signup bonuses available through 4/3. I am in Boston and Delta along with American and kind of Jet Blue are my most frequently flown airlines. I currently have no airline cards. I’m very tempted specifically by the Gold. Fee waived first year and 60k mile sub. If nothing else I could definitely use the miles. Worst case I could downgrade once fee hits next year to no AF card and no harm no foul for me. 

I’m at 3/24 right now and have one more falling off this summer. Credit score-wise now is not the time for me to apply for the Chase cards I really want, CSP/CSR and CF. Also considering either the Hyatt or a Marriott card when the other slot opens. Will be soon, just not yet. I know a Delta card would take up a slot unless I go the Delta Business card route which have slightly better bonuses than consumer. 

Thoughts on all of this?  Will I see bonuses like this again soon?  Worth it?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
digitek
Established Contributor

Re: Is now the time to apply for Amesx Delta card?

I kind of got both around this time last year, Delta Gold Personal and then waited a little bit and got Delta Platinum Business.  Recently closed the Personal Gold.  The SUB on the Gold was just too good but I actually wanted the Platinum, I only realized that about a week after I got the Gold.  Amex had no issue with it at the time.  About to renew the Platinum for the first time and get that sweet Companion Ticket, although free bags and $29 for SkyClub access during long layover aren't bad perks, either.

Like you said about business cards, all true, just not really spoken of on this section for fear of the "Hand of Mod" moving it.

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is now the time to apply for Amex Delta card?

best sub for delta gold has been 75k sub plus 50-100 statement credit. If you want to app, see if you can get those somehow.

Message 3 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Is now the time to apply for Amex Delta card?

What other, if any, AMEX cards do you have? What is your entire card lineup?

If you know going in that you intend to close / downgrade the Delta Gold prior to paying the AF, then I would say don't app. The 60k (or sometimes better) SUB comes up periodically, and with no strict 5/24 as with Chase, the AMEX One Per Lifetime bonus on this card can wait. The reason for warning against closing the account is that can fit in a pattern of bonus chasing that leads AMEX to stop giving you SUB on new cards.

The list of Chase cards you want, if those are your priority, mean that you need to be watching your 5/24 status closely and not being distracted by the shiny objects from other card issuers.

On the other hand, if you fly Delta regularly, you get real savings in costs, real benefits from the Delta Gold. If you don't fly Delta regularly, then one more reason to pass on this, until you figure out your AMEX strategy.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre-approved for Amex Delta Gold...CL before applying?

In looking at my Amex online I have been approved for pretty much every co-branded card and not for any that aren't co-branded.  Interesting.  Anyway, is there a way to find out before actually applying what my credit limit will be?  I don't want to apply and get approved, only to find out my limit is $500 or something like that.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pre-approved for Amex Delta Gold...CL before applying?

No. Do you have any prior AMEX relationship? Are you scores held down by anything?

I think the lowest CL for that card is $1000.
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
No. Do you have any prior AMEX relationship? Are you scores held down by anything?

Darn.  Was hoping I could find out ahead of time.  

Yes, I've got a Gold card and a BBP (best non bonus spend card on planet earth!).  Have had both for less than six months.  Scores are in 680-690 range.  Held back by small file, short history and a few baddies.  I'm at 3/24 and will drop to 2/24 in June.  Really (really, really, really) want a CSR or CSP at the very least and holding off applying for one of those till I can get my scores above 700.  Just opened a Chase bank account to start a relationship with them that I hope will help with getting one of those cards.  Want a CF to go with it.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed on the BBP!

What’s the CL on the BBP?
Message 8 of 20
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I've got a Gold card and a BBP (best non bonus spend card on planet earth!).  Have had both for less than six months.  Scores are in 680-690 range.  Held back by small file, short history and a few baddies.  I'm at 3/24 and will drop to 2/24 in June.  Really (really, really, really) want a CSR or CSP at the very least and holding off applying for one of those till I can get my scores above 700.  Just opened a Chase bank account to start a relationship with them that I hope will help with getting one of those cards.  Want a CF to go with it.

With 2 new Amex opened in less than 6 months, I would be concerned about applying for another AMEX right now due to them tightening restrictions on SUB's.  You may get approved but without a SUB.

Do you have any other non-business cards with at least a 5k limit?  If not, I would think you'd have a decent shot at a CF which would help your chances at a Sapphire down the road.

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fittiger wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

With 2 new Amex opened in less than 6 months, I would be concerned about applying for another AMEX right now due to them tightening restrictions on SUB's.  You may get approved but without a SUB.

Do you have any other non-business cards with at least a 5k limit?  If not, I would think you'd have a decent shot at a CF which would help your chances at a Sapphire down the road.

I've got a Cap1 Venture1 with a $7k limit.  Does that mean I should or shouldn't apply for a CF right now?  Sounds like you think I could get approved for a CF only if I DON'T have a >$5k limit card?  Not sure I understand.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.