Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is six new cards too many?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is six new cards too many?

I just apped for, and was approved, for 5 new personal cards (Apple,Navy,PenFed,BBt, and Discover). Is six new cards too many? I only do hard pulls once a year and was looking for my second EQ pull. Also, could I cancel one of my brand new cards (Discover has a low limit,5K) and go for another large limit before it reports as new? Thank you

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Is six new cards too many?

I would definitely not apply for anymore . You already got the HP from disco and they will report even if you close it tomorrow.

Considering the current situation, 5K is nothing to complain about .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 43
RSX
Valued Contributor

YES

i think the most some people can get away with is 3 - for me it is one every 6 months or more (months, not cards)

Dont bother closing the DIscover - you have all the negatives from applying for it - might as well have the $5k

i hope you got some cards that you really wanted, because i think you should wait at least 2 more years before you even consider another one

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 3 of 43
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Six accounts in two years in excessive for most lenders these days, so that should give you an idea on how they will view six accounts in one month. 

Hopefully nothing happens to your cards (new and old), but I wouldn't be shocked or surprised if some form off AA takes place, especially in the current lending climate. 

Message 4 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remediosso, right now I am 9/24.

Message 5 of 43
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remediosso, right now I am 9/24.

Yeah, you should not get any more new cards and cool it off for at least six months, ideally a year before considering any new apps

Message 6 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

6 at once is a lot but fortunately the lenders you chose aren't generally overly sensitive to opening too many accounts. You should be fine as long as you don't add more. 

Message 7 of 43
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just apped for, and was approved, for 5 new personal cards (Apple,Navy,PenFed,BBt, and Discover). Is six new cards too many? I only do hard pulls once a year and was looking for my second EQ pull. Also, could I cancel one of my brand new cards (Discover has a low limit,5K) and go for another large limit before it reports as new? Thank you

Why cancel a good card if approved? 

Lol at 5k low limit🤯

Message 8 of 43
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

I would definitely not apply for anymore . You already got the HP from disco and they will report even if you close it tomorrow.

Considering the current situation, 5K is nothing to complain about .

That wasnt complaining, that was just a low limitSmiley Wink

Message 9 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

Six accounts in two years in excessive for most lenders these days, so that should give you an idea on how they will view six accounts in one month. 

Hopefully nothing happens to your cards (new and old), but I wouldn't be shocked or surprised if some form off AA takes place, especially in the current lending climate. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.... Not sure what else you have in your wallet... would not be surprised if you saw some AA the next time they AR you.  

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.