Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is six new cards too many?

tag
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Is six new cards too many?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just apped for, and was approved, for 5 new personal cards (Apple,Navy,PenFed,BBt, and Discover). Is six new cards too many? I only do hard pulls once a year and was looking for my second EQ pull. Also, could I cancel one of my brand new cards (Discover has a low limit,5K) and go for another large limit before it reports as new? Thank you

@Anonymous, Congrats on your approvals.

As many have suggested, I would definitely cool off for a good while in this credit environment.

Message 11 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

out of pure curiosity why did you apply for all of those cards? 

Message 12 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your thoughts. I assumed people with few cards would not have an aggressive approach.I would love to hear from more people with more than 30-40 cards and high income.

Message 13 of 43
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous 

There are several members  here with 30+ cards , I was one of them but have trimmed the fat some . Also higher income doesn't necessarily mean more cards, I am certainly not a high earner by any means .

Most of us with multiple cards have acquired them over several years and most were not very aggressive in building our profile , took time got cards that meet their needs and they could use .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 14 of 43
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all for your thoughts. I assumed people with few cards would not have an aggressive approach.I would love to hear from people with more than 30-40 cards and high income.

"I would love to hear from people with more than 30-40 cards and high income."

I replied.

Thicker aged profile's can handle App spree's a little better than young thin profiles.

(I am not judging you, and have no idea of your profile)

Even having a thick aged profile with higher income, with this credit landscape due to Corona V.

I have pulled way back and I am actually gardening. Lenders are very skittish right now,

and it probably would not take much to bring on Adverse Action.  ...ALL JMHO

Message 15 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom Thank you for your thoughts. But I have around 30 cards and I did it in 7 years. I have never apped for less than three at one time. 5 is typical.I only hard pull once a year. I am interested in hearing now from people who are aggressive and with as many cards as I have.

Message 16 of 43
RSX
Valued Contributor

If 5 apps at a time is typical for you, then I think the answer remains that you shouldn't app for the 6th

but of course, if you want to, then go ahead

and if the Discover won't work for you at $5k, then close it

we did all reply with the best intentions without asking what your current list is

so bad on me for not asking that first

with 30+ cards, I think you already have this figured out, so you should do what you feel is best for the current climate without worries

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 17 of 43
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Did I just got called broke and card-less? 

You cannot make this up 😂

Message 18 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RSXThank you. I am still learning and this board teaches me everytime I get on here. I am concerned about AA. It only happened to me once. Two years ago from BOA. (they said I reallocated too much...)

Message 19 of 43
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Years ago, I got 6 Synchrony store cards in 2 days. 

Times have changed. 

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.