Is six new cards too many?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Is six new cards too many?

@Remedios wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all for your thoughts. I assumed people with few cards would not have an aggressive approach.I would love to hear from more people with more than 30-40 cards and high income.

Hi.  Don't do it.

It's the signature, isnt it??? 

I sorely lack street cred 

More like transparency. If I knew you were a pauper, I would have stopped hanging out with you a long time ago.

Message 31 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

What a bunch of amateurs taking 7 years to get 30+ cards. I've opened 22 in 2 years, not including 4 installments and 2 auto loans. And 8 of them were in the last 6 months, 3 of which in the last month. #GetOnMyLevel

😂😂😂😂

Message 32 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I’ve only had 22, but I got 6 in my last spree last year followed by 1 a couple months later, (a preapproval I could not resist for a goal card.)

I don’t suggest this type of aggressive behavior for young or thin files. I don’t even necessarily advocate it for most profiles. But some can support it. However this current economic climate has reshaped everything and all bets are off.

What we could get away with previously we can’t necessarily now. We are in a much more precarious climate now and I would hesitate to take the same actions today.... Now once this is over, if things return to normal, we’ll see.
Message 33 of 43
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

What a bunch of amateurs taking 7 years to get 30+ cards. I've opened 22 in 2 years, not including 4 installments and 2 auto loans. And 8 of them were in the last 6 months, 3 of which in the last month. #GetOnMyLevel

26 years, 7 cards total.

My game sucks compared to many here.

But in my defense, I don't really care. Simplicity is the hallmark of my credit life...and it works for me Smiley Wink

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 34 of 43
MudkipsRKooL
Regular Contributor

Don't care what people say but there's people on here with LOL/24 status. Such as this guy. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Sony-Visa-Signature-Approved-quot-26000-quot-...

84/24! that's amazing! Get as much cards as possible fast, then let them age, lol.

Current score: 778ex | 774tu | 777eq
INQ status: 1/24, 1/12

Currrent Cards:

Future:
Message 35 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MudkipsRKooL wrote:

Don't care what people say but there's people on here with LOL/24 status. Such as this guy. https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Sony-Visa-Signature-Approved-quot-26000-quot-...

84/24! that's amazing! Get as much cards as possible fast, then let them age, lol.

@MudkipsRKooL Mahraja is a far cry exception to the rule.  Yes, he's 85/24.  He also has a total TL profile of 1.5M and obviously enough income and assets to support it.  He is an edge case.  VERY FEW of us are Mahraja.  He is a legend, but his profile *SUPPORTS* legendary status.   

Message 36 of 43
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

6 at once is a lot but fortunately the lenders you chose aren't generally overly sensitive to opening too many accounts. You should be fine as long as you don't add more. 

@Anonymous +1 ^^ This Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 37 of 43
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@MudkipsRKooL wrote:

Actually 89/24, but that's @Mahraja , the guy is a legend with this stuff - his victories are not the norm Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 38 of 43
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

5 is a healthy amount. 6 might be pushing it depending on your profile. Need more details. Congrats on your 6 though! 

Message 39 of 43
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

6 at once is a lot but fortunately the lenders you chose aren't generally overly sensitive to opening too many accounts. You should be fine as long as you don't add more. 

@Anonymous +1 ^^ This Smiley Happy

Right, but what about existing lenders? 

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.