cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this an appropriate use of a hard-pull?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this an appropriate use of a hard-pull?

My very first credit card is through BMO Harris.  It has a $500 limit.  Two months ago, I requested a CLI to $1000.  They performed a hard-pull and then declined me because that particular card does not go above $500 for anyone. 

I don't want to dispute it and cause problems but to me that kind of seems unfair.  Yeah, I requested it, but I would have rather been declined because of MY problems, not theirs.  Why not just tell me or cancel the request rather than pulling my file for the sake of pulling my file.

Is there any recourse for this or should I just wait out that HP's six month effect?

Thanks in advance for any input Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Is this an appropriate use of a hard-pull?

Odd, never heard of a card that won't go above $500, unless it was a subprime fee heavy garbage card, but hey it is what it is I guess. First things first, a HP remains for 2 years but really only affects your score a year. Six months isn't going to happen.

As far as disputing the HP, I don't think it's going to hold water because you did authorize it, albeit under false assumptions. Nonetheless I believe it will be treated as legit. I would however ask the bank to remove it since it was pretty much for nothing and you never had a chance of a CLI. They should not have performed a HP on an account that has already reached their set limit. After that I'd close this worthless card, doesn't sound like a bank worth doing business with. Good luck.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't agree more. If they pulled it knowing that you'd never get an increase, even if you had 850 beacon, to hell with them! Take your money and business and give it to a bank who's going to work FOR you. 

Good luck! 

Message 3 of 6
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Tht is pretty crappy of them to do that. I agree, call them and ask them to remove it. If they agree too, let it drop of, then close that worthless card. If they don't agree, close it and tell them to shove it up their chocolate wizwang, sideways. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys (or gals) for the advice. I think I may call and ask them to remove it. It is my oldest card and the bank I do my liquid banking with and I do love them; this is the only issue I've encountered so I don't think I'll close the account. I only charge gas and food to it anyway so I'm not gonna spend much on it anyway. I really appreciate the advice and input!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyLoFICO wrote:

Tht is pretty crappy of them to do that. I agree, call them and ask them to remove it. If they agree too, let it drop of, then close that worthless card. If they don't agree, close it and tell them to shove it up their chocolate wizwang, sideways. 

You tell'em. I agree.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.