Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this an official Penfed offer?

tag
iamdetermined
Frequent Contributor

Is this an official Penfed offer?

Hi everyone,

I've been laying low, while I recover from holiday spending, and Penfed is now knocking on my mailbox lol.

I'm not currently a Penfed member, but have been interested in building a relationship with them for quite some time.

I've went as far as filling out and deleting the membership application (not submitted). This was earlier in my rebuild when I was afraid of rejection, had low scores, and didn't want to risk credit denials due to multiple new accounts at that time. 

This is the first and only Penfed mail offer that I have received, so I'm not sure if this is just for promotional purposes, or not.

It has a solid 17.24% APR, and 0% balance transfer promotional rate for 12 months (on back of letter). The balance transfer offer would defintely come in handy.

1.jpg

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

**PERSISTENCE & PATIENCE** NFCU Amex $25K || NFCU GoRewards $24K || Citi $20k || Macy's $20K || Amex Cash Magnet $1.4k || CO QuickSilver $11,750 || Wells Fargo $9,500 || PayPal MC $8K || Amex ED $5,500 || USAA Pref. Cash Rewards $7.5K || Victoria’s Secret $5k || Discover IT $11.9k || Chase $12.5k || HFCU Plat. CC $2K || PenFed $500

*OVERALL CREDIT CARD LIMITS: $163,150*

NLOC $6K
US Alliance LOC $2K
Student Loans: $40k+

FICO 8 - 4/25/17: EQ 648 - EX 654 - TU 632
FICO 8 - 8/27/18: EQ 684 - EX 696 - TU 713
FICO8 1/14/22: EX 713 - EQ 703 -TU 723
FICO 8 4/7/23: EX 713 - EQ 715 -TU 729
FICO 8 4/30/23: EX 733
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Is this an official Penfed offer?

I've never seen the CC offers like that from Penfed. But from what I've experienced with them, the offers were rock solid! Unlike most CU's. When they say you're preapproved..they actually mean it!

Penfed is hungry for some new members and revenue I see. I received a check from them last week, preapproved for $25K. 

Message 2 of 40
CramEiko
Established Contributor

I think it's a mailer unless there's something on the back side stating more specifics. True, they may want you to apply but, it's not a for sure deal. I had these last year too but, I finally saw something in Offers on my online PenFed account. That was more specific language. 

You could call PenFed and ask before running it. They have always been really helpful when I've called in.

Good Luck!

edited: noted that there was something on the back after I re-read it but, I would call and ask anyways.... Good Luck!

Updated Feb 2023:
Citi Double Cash: $26,300
Citi Costco: $33,800
PenFed Power Cash: $50,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited: $33,400
NFCU Cash Rewards: $29,000
BoA Unlimited Cash: $99,900
Wells Fargo Active Cash: $50,000
Citi AAdvantage Executive: $30,500
Wells Fargo Mortgage 30yr fixed 3.625%

Business Cards:
BoA Business Advantage Unlimited Cash: $8,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000
Chase Ink Business Unlimited: $75,000

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold | BoA Custom Cash | Lowes | Barclays Aviator Red
Message 3 of 40
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Looks about as solid as you can get to me.. Never seen mail version but has opt out pre-screen along with pre-approved.  I think you are probably golden if you want the card.  Member of penfed I assume wonder why they wouldnt just provide it online by most method people get it though?

Message 4 of 40
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

I've never seen the CC offers like that from Penfed. But from what I've experienced with them, the offers were rock solid! Unlike most CU's. When they say you're preapproved..they actually mean it!

Penfed is hungry for some new members and revenue I see. I received a check from them last week, preapproved for $25K. 

c'mon G,  after tasting what Average Joe brings to their organization,  im not shocked they are looking for people with money Smiley Wink Just makes sad panda thinking of them  trolling innocent bystanders  then rejecting them for having more than one creditor lolSmiley Wink

Message 5 of 40
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

The only mail I get from Penfed are car loans and life insurance

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 6 of 40
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Like others have mentioned.  It looks solid.  I too have never seen PenFed send pre-approvals via snail mail....but then again I've never known them to sent balance transfer checks in the mail and I received a few of them about a month ago.  Maybe PenFed is trying to up their game...or at least catch up to where others have already been...for years.

Message 7 of 40
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Looks good to me.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 40
CivalV
Established Contributor

This looks solid. My boyfriend received a mailer from Penfed as well. The only difference between yours and his... his did not say “you are preapproved” only said he is invited to apply for it. He has a Penfed membership that is about 19 years old lol

Good luck if you decide to pull the trigger! And definitely update us if you go for it. I have steered clear from Penfed since my income and scores are not sufficient enough for them.
Message 9 of 40
iamdetermined
Frequent Contributor

Wow that's great, congrats Gmood1! You give me hope Smiley Happy Thanks for the reply!
**PERSISTENCE & PATIENCE** NFCU Amex $25K || NFCU GoRewards $24K || Citi $20k || Macy's $20K || Amex Cash Magnet $1.4k || CO QuickSilver $11,750 || Wells Fargo $9,500 || PayPal MC $8K || Amex ED $5,500 || USAA Pref. Cash Rewards $7.5K || Victoria’s Secret $5k || Discover IT $11.9k || Chase $12.5k || HFCU Plat. CC $2K || PenFed $500

*OVERALL CREDIT CARD LIMITS: $163,150*

NLOC $6K
US Alliance LOC $2K
Student Loans: $40k+

FICO 8 - 4/25/17: EQ 648 - EX 654 - TU 632
FICO 8 - 8/27/18: EQ 684 - EX 696 - TU 713
FICO8 1/14/22: EX 713 - EQ 703 -TU 723
FICO 8 4/7/23: EX 713 - EQ 715 -TU 729
FICO 8 4/30/23: EX 733
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.