Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this an official Penfed offer?

tag
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Is this an official Penfed offer?

@iamdetermined wrote:
Forgot to mention, I did apply and receive 2 new credit cards - one in December, the other one in January.

The mail offer from Penfed was received about a week ago ago, AFTER both new accounts reported to the bureaus.

Should I wait until closer to the offer deadline date (4/2019), as the accounts age some, or if I go for it now will it make a difference?

If its a soft pull offer, it may not matter at all. They'd use the SP that is already in the system. That's normally how Penfed works.

Message 21 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is. That letter was sent on Jan 29th as pre-screened to ~3k members.

Reference: I work for them
Message 22 of 40
sjt
Senior Contributor

Its a pre-approved offer. Notice the "pre-approved" on the offer.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 23 of 40
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, oops i didnt see thatSmiley Wink
Message 24 of 40
iamdetermined
Frequent Contributor

Good morning all!

After debating & hesitating, I bit the bullet...and was DENIED!  -__-  I'm not going to lie, my feelings were hurt LOL.

The "preapproval" letter states that I must be a member (as we all know), so I applied and was approved for membership.

I then attempted to apply for the CC using the mailer info - at the end, it never said "approved" or "denied" - it just said to call a phone number.

I called, spoke with a rep, she did not use my access code, so I re-apped on the phone and had to wait up to 24 hours for a response.I checked online in less time, and a denial letter was there.

I did add 2 new accounts in December (nothing else in over a year, both new accounts reported just before I applied w/Penfed), my utilization went up to about 20% due to holiday spending (will be below 15% this weekend). I added multiple accounts last year to build my profile.

I called to recon, and was told the "preapproval" is an approval for membership, and it's still subject to review.

I replied to the survey, trying to pleade my case....no dice -_-

I tried to log into the app, and was immediately locked out of my account.

They mailed a letter to me asking me to sign/return for verification. I'm going to keep the account because I took the hard pull.

I have one baddie due to drop off in a few months, mutliple student loans, and Fico 8's in high 600's-low 700's.

**PERSISTENCE & PATIENCE** NFCU Amex $25K || NFCU GoRewards $24K || Citi $20k || Macy's $20K || Amex Cash Magnet $1.4k || CO QuickSilver $11,750 || Wells Fargo $9,500 || PayPal MC $8K || Amex ED $5,500 || USAA Pref. Cash Rewards $7.5K || Victoria’s Secret $5k || Discover IT $11.9k || Chase $12.5k || HFCU Plat. CC $2K || PenFed $500

*OVERALL CREDIT CARD LIMITS: $163,150*

NLOC $6K
US Alliance LOC $2K
Student Loans: $40k+

FICO 8 - 4/25/17: EQ 648 - EX 654 - TU 632
FICO 8 - 8/27/18: EQ 684 - EX 696 - TU 713
FICO8 1/14/22: EX 713 - EQ 703 -TU 723
FICO 8 4/7/23: EX 713 - EQ 715 -TU 729
FICO 8 4/30/23: EX 733
Message 25 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like business as usual at PenDread. Sorry to hear about it. Smiley Sad

Message 26 of 40
iamdetermined
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Saeren. It's okay, seems that I'm not "fit" for their credit products yet lol. I'm confident that they'll be back in my mailbox Smiley Wink, but at this point I'm not interested until I have a stronger profile.
**PERSISTENCE & PATIENCE** NFCU Amex $25K || NFCU GoRewards $24K || Citi $20k || Macy's $20K || Amex Cash Magnet $1.4k || CO QuickSilver $11,750 || Wells Fargo $9,500 || PayPal MC $8K || Amex ED $5,500 || USAA Pref. Cash Rewards $7.5K || Victoria’s Secret $5k || Discover IT $11.9k || Chase $12.5k || HFCU Plat. CC $2K || PenFed $500

*OVERALL CREDIT CARD LIMITS: $163,150*

NLOC $6K
US Alliance LOC $2K
Student Loans: $40k+

FICO 8 - 4/25/17: EQ 648 - EX 654 - TU 632
FICO 8 - 8/27/18: EQ 684 - EX 696 - TU 713
FICO8 1/14/22: EX 713 - EQ 703 -TU 723
FICO 8 4/7/23: EX 713 - EQ 715 -TU 729
FICO 8 4/30/23: EX 733
Message 27 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, the UW at PenFed is ridiculous. Last year when I applied in September they denied me for adding three new credit cards in March (one I turned around and closed and I closed two older cards as well) with an EQ FICO around yours currently. I did the app over the phone and she was talking with the UW who made the decision and she said that’s literally the only thing holding me back from approval and to try again this March. 

Of course I have added 7 more revolving accounts since that app so it would definitely be a no now. 

A few days after my PenFed denial I applied with NFCU and got a cashRewards $3K at 11.4% then in December I got a CLI to $7500, added a $500 CLOC at 15.9%, added the Platinum at $7200 and 8.24%, and then last month I had them cut the cashRewards down to $2000 and move the $5500 to my Platinum giving it a $12,700 limit and PC’d my cashRewards to More Rewards so I have a grocery card (although the 17.24% APR vs my old 11.9% sucks). 

None of that would have happened if I had gotten a card with PenFed and that card would have likely been $5K at $18% just like my SSFCU card so I should be thanking them for denying me and pushing me to explore further until I found NFCU. 

Message 28 of 40
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good ol Penfed up to their bag of tricks. Wont help out a full member in good standing but will send out a " preapproved" mailer to a non member than say its a prespproval for membership, not the credit csrd. Lolwut! Honestly i believe there are better lenders out there who dont hold b as ck their members like a kid who wont let their baby bro or sis play with their old toysSmiley Wink
Message 29 of 40
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP - that's really unfortunate, but I admire your tenacity in attempting to get them to reconsider through multiple attempts. It sounds like even though the outcome did not go as expected, you're still ok and may potentially consider them again in the future.

A variety of individuals may place a negative emotion (for some long lasting) to something that is simply a business decision and nothing else. And, while no lender will be the right fit for everyone, it's always good to keep your options open even if you decide to try them again.

In my early days of building my profile, even when CUs weren't the most talked about; if a denial occurred, it simply gave me the motivation to improve the recommended areas to optimize those chances and it worked. I never took the denial personal. But, I also learned which financial institutions were not going to be the appropriate or long-term fit either. So, best of luck when you decide to try them again!
Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.