Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined NFCU when to apply for CC

tag
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Joined NFCU when to apply for CC

I joined nfcu with a savings/checking today since they are no longer HP happy. How long should I wait before applying for a credit card or does it matter? What about a first time auto loan? Self employed

2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: Joined NFCU when to apply for CC

@601flyguy wrote:

I joined nfcu with a savings/checking today since they are no longer HP happy. How long should I wait before applying for a credit card or does it matter? What about a first time auto loan? Self employed

I applied for cc as self employed the next day and was approved. Didn't open a checking account.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 2 of 14
601flyguy
Established Contributor

Did you get a nice limit?

2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't apply for NFCU cards right now unless 1.99% APR on purchases and BTs sounds better than a SUB because all the SUBs are gone until March. 

Otherwise, apply whenever. Most first cards these days tend to be $1K approvals anyway and holding off just puts you further from the 91/3 point where your big second card hits if your profile supports it. 

Message 4 of 14
WTL1
New Contributor

I joined Navy mid-Oct. Savings and checking, token amounts deposited, no real use since then. Jan 4, got the bug, apped for Platinum Visa online. Instant approval, $15,000 @ 14.49%. TU F8 763. Plan to BT, which is why I applied. I've been notified to wait 10 days on new card before it can BT.
Message 5 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@WTL1 wrote:
I joined Navy mid-Oct. Savings and checking, token amounts deposited, no real use since then. Jan 4, got the bug, apped for Platinum Visa online. Instant approval, $15,000 @ 14.49%. TU F8 763. Plan to BT, which is why I applied. I've been notified to wait 10 days on new card before it can BT.

Congratulations on your approval!

Message 6 of 14
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@601flyguy wrote:

Did you get a nice limit?

No, I received the $1k starter limit. I have faith the magic will begin with the 2nd card.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 7 of 14
CerebralZulu
Frequent Contributor

Just reading over the post, most of the members with anything other than the starter limit didn't open the first card immediately. I fall in line with the open account and apply for card day one. Waited a little over six months for card two and got a good SL on that card. Was really disappointed on the first card limit. So If I had to do it again, I think I would have waited to build at least a minimal relationship with Navy.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CerebralZulu wrote:

Just reading over the post, most of the members with anything other than the starter limit didn't open the first card immediately. I fall in line with the open account and apply for card day one. Waited a little over six months for card two and got a good SL on that card. Was really disappointed on the first card limit. So If I had to do it again, I think I would have waited to build at least a minimal relationship with Navy.

I opened my account with Navy over the phone and applied for credit at the same time. Went to review and they came back with $3K which looking at my file now is small but back then I only had $8250, $7500, and $5000 limits on my 3 cards and a ~640 TU 9. It really just depends on what they think of your profile if they're going to give you more than $500-$1K to start with. It can't hurt to have a relationship with them but 91/3 goes by ridiculously fast so I would rather just go for that first small card and then get that large second one than wait. 

Message 9 of 14
CerebralZulu
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CerebralZulu wrote:

I opened my account with Navy over the phone and applied for credit at the same time. Went to review and they came back with $3K which looking at my file now is small but back then I only had $8250, $7500, and $5000 limits on my 3 cards and a ~640 TU 9. It really just depends on what they think of your profile if they're going to give you more than $500-$1K to start with. It can't hurt to have a relationship with them but 91/3 goes by ridiculously fast so I would rather just go for that first small card and then get that large second one than wait. 

Yes I agree it is file specific. I had between a 790 and 800 at account opening and small as well as large balance cards. Under 5% utilization Don't remember inquiries. Got $1000 SL. Had me perplexed. I hadn't learned about the recons at the time. Don't know if I would have wanted to take the additional hard pull at the time even if I did. But hung in there and the next one was worth the wait.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.