cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Got Denied For GoRewards card with NFCU (Trying to graduate from nRewards!)

tag
creditalchemist
Valued Member

Just Got Denied For GoRewards card with NFCU (Trying to graduate from nRewards!)

So I applied for the Go Rewards card with Navy Federal recently hoping I could graduate from my secured nRewards card.

I waited to apply after 7 months and unfortunately for me my application was denied.

With the exception of one time I was late because I was told something I misunderstood incorrectly from a Navy Fed rep. I always  paid on time and usually paid down to 0 or 5% (By the way they noted it in their notes when I called them back to explain that I had been given incorrect information and they even credited my account like $5 or $10 bucks I forget)

My Experian Score was 622 at the time (and still is) according to Experian.

Although the NFCU decline letter says my score was 617.

I have no public records

And I am currently disputing 3 negatives on my record.

One closed account ($137) and two collections ($753) in total.

Should I contact NFCU to inquire more about this and seek a possible reconsideration for the Go Rewards card or just focus on removing these items from my record one way or another?

Thanks!

p.s. I'm also curious to know why don't I see an internal NFCU score like i've seen on other decline letters that i've viewed on various forums and facebook groups?

NFCU Letters 1.jpgNFCU Letters.jpg

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Just Got Denied For GoRewards card with NFCU (Trying to graduate from nRewards!)

Sorry about the denial. It's interesting they pulled Experian as opposed to TU9, which is what they usually pull. They may have used EX9, which would explain the discrepancy between what you see (assuming it's from EX monitoring, which gives EX8) and the score they gave you.

For the 3 accounts you're disputing, what about them are you disputing?

And you can try recon, but IMO, the late payment (regardless of misinformation) + collections means they most likely wouldn't reconsider.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 11
creditalchemist
Valued Member

Re: Just Got Denied For GoRewards card with NFCU (Trying to graduate from nRewards!)

Thanks for the reply and feedback.

At the time my TU was froze. perhaps that was the reason why?

The collections I am disputing the items as not mine.

As for the closed account I may have to pay. ($137)

Message 3 of 11
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Sorry about the denial! I think you jumped the gun. Navy pulls TU, are you sure it was Ex, and not just EX alerting you to TU alert.

The late is being considered internally, and may slow progress. The low score and derogs aren't helping. Time and score improvement are what they are most likely looking for on profile.

Message 4 of 11
creditalchemist
Valued Member

Hi,

Thanks for chiming in.

Yes, according to the denial letter it states that they used Experian.

I agree time and score improvement are  major factors most likely in this decison. 

Why dont I see an internal score though?

Message 5 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@creditalchemist wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for chiming in.

Yes, according to the denial letter it states that they used Experian.

I agree time and score improvement are  major factors most likely in this decison. 

Why dont I see an internal score though?

Not sure. Maybe cause they gave you your EX score?

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 11
creditalchemist
Valued Member

I honestly am not sure. I thought they always included their internal score along with an external score from TU or Equifax

Message 7 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@creditalchemist wrote:

Thanks for the reply and feedback.

At the time my TU was froze. perhaps that was the reason why?

The collections I am disputing the items as not mine.

As for the closed account I may have to pay. ($137)

Any reason TU was frozen?  

It appears they were still able to deny the request through EX, though.  Unfortunately, as mentioned upthread, it's unlikely they'll reverse the decision.

As far as the score, they don't typically provide both if a scoring metric was already provided on the report they've used.

Message 8 of 11
creditalchemist
Valued Member

I usually keep my accounts frozen. (I actually had forgotten I had TU froze when I applied.)

I'm going to focus on raising my score . I also sent a message to NFCU via eMessage in the app. to see if I can gain more information about their decision.

Thanks for your feedback

Message 9 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@creditalchemist wrote:

I usually keep my accounts frozen. (I actually had forgotten I had TU froze when I applied.)

I'm going to focus on raising my score . I also sent a message to NFCU via eMessage in the app. to see if I can gain more information about their decision.

Thanks for your feedback

They're just going to tell you to wait for the letter.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.