cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got my 2nd CC approved, what's next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got my 2nd CC approved, what's next?

I'm a non-resident alien, 30+ y.o., working professional living aboard, without SSN nor ITIN number, trying to build a credit history from scratch.

Six months ago I have applied for a BofA Travel Rewards card, got approved for $1.5k. Two months ago I have applied for a credit line increase to $10k Smiley Happy got rejected because of lack of records from credit bureaus, high intermediate balances (before closing dates), and my couple experiments with cash advances.

Today I applied for a BofA Cash Rewards was, was instantly approved for $3k.

Please advice, what are my next steps? Should I also apply for CL increase on my Travel Rewards or wait 1-2 months? What would be the next card that I can apply for without SSN or ITIN? When to apply for it? Also, after six months from my 2nd card approval? Does American Express still accept applications without SSN over the phone?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just got my 2nd CC approved, what's next?

My advice you is to not apply for 6 months and let your accounts age. You need 6 months to generate a Fico score.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a non-resident alien, 36 y.o., without SSN nor ITIN number, trying to build a credit history from scratch.

Six months ago I have applied for a BofA Travel Rewards card, got approved for $1.5k. Two months ago I have applied for a credit line increase to $10k Smiley Happy got rejected because of lack of records from credit bureaus, high intermediate balances (before closing dates), and my couple experiments with cash advances.

Today I applied for a BofA Cash Rewards was, was instantly approved for $3k.

Please advice, what are my next steps? Should I also apply for CL increase on my Travel Rewards or wait 1-2 months? What would be the next card that I can apply for without SSN or ITIN? When to apply for it? Also, after six months from my 2nd card approval? Does American Express still accept applications without SSN over the phone?

Thanks!

Amex accepts both on the online application. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My close friend was just approved for a high limit with cap1 as a non resident, she has history with loans and stuff in the past and a couple store cards like walmart
Message 4 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

If you're a non-resident alien and interested in Amex, it might be easier to apply in your home country then later transfer it here using Global Card Transfer.

Message 5 of 12
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

With regard to CLI requests on your BoA cards, you can tell when they consider you eligible to apply by logging onto your online account.  If you look at each CC under Card Details, if eligible there will be a blue "Request a credit line increase" hyperlink just above "Next closing date:"

Eligibility is not global across all CC, it is managed on a per-CC basis so at any given point you can be eligible on both cards, 1 card, or neither of them.  It is possible to get a CLI on 2 cards on the same day.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you apply for the BoA card without ITIN or SSN? Over the phone, in branch online?
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

ver the phone. During my first application, there was a problem with an outdated foreign passport No. on file. So I had to visit the local branch. The second application (after 6 months) was approved right away by phone.

Now trying to figure out, if there a way to pull Experian credit report. They don't allow signing up nor pulling credit report without SSN. I guess one option would be to get that report via American Express, but Amex doesn't accept applications without a physical address (property) in US..
Message 8 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I haven't heard of "high intermediate balances" as a denial reason before. I suppose it's a reason to consider making more frequent payments or making a payment once your balance reaches a certain point.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.