Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kind of confused about my cli history

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kind of confused about my cli history

I searched, but I guess I couldn't find the right way to query to return results.

Tldr: what gives with not getting any cli's!?

I've had 2 Amex cards since 2017. The blue preferred card and a delta gold card that I recently was able to "upgrade" to the platinum metal card. Both of these accounts have sl of 1000 each. Uti has been as high as 70% but always paid down and for the last 6 months or so, I've made charges of a couple hundred and pif before they report. In fact, ive purchased thousands of dollars worth of plane tickets with the delta card since September and pif. I have asked every few months since having the cards for cli's and always get denied. Never missed a payment on either account. Basically the same issue with cap1 and bofa. Though my bofa carried a balance for awhile that was pif over the last 2 months. Yet discover it seems to give me cli every single time I ask. Started at 1k and have gotten it up to 3600 as of today with a cli of $600. 

Is there just no chance at all of ever getting a cli on the other cards? At this point its been years on every other card I have since I've gotten any increases. I'm getting the feeling that they are all destined to be low limit cards. 

There are a lot of baddies on my file. Closed and settled accounts that I'm just waiting to fall off from the report. The last missed payment was April of 2018, but before that my last negative item was 2017. Ive never missed any payments on any of my open credit cards. I'm working on getting to azeo and im almost there. 

I dont need the increases, im just trying to get more spending room in order to help with staying under 8% on any card.

I have pretty low inquiries a few from last summer when I was car shopping. $110,000 annual hhi. My scores as of right now...

Fico8 TU-685, Eq-674 Ex-647

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Kind of confused about my cli history

The $1k SLs indicate your Amex cards were marginal approvals, so the lack of CLI since probably just means they're still only marginally comfortable with your profile.  Different issuers like Amex and, e.g., Disco, are going to have different policies and UW standards for CLI, so what one does doesn't really indicate what the other should or will do.  From what you've shared, I imagine the settled accounts, lates, and low EX score are what's keeping them clamped down at the moment.  As your baddies age and fall off and your EX improves, you'll probably hit a point where they look on you more favorably, since afaik Amex doesn't bucket cards.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I totally get that each institution is different. Just confuses me since from what I've read here discover is pretty conservative and stingy with cli. Not that my limit is great or anything, but like I said, they have given me one everytime ive asked. Ex absolutely does not like my file! I'm really hoping that they will give me a good point jump here soon since I've spent the whole year getting my uti down. I'm so close to having scores in the 700s and AFAIK, this will be the first time that any of my scores have been there. Ive gotten real close lots of times but never broken 690. Hoping I can get them all up before this car completely gives out so I can get a good rate on an auto loan. Thanks for your reply!
Message 3 of 10
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't call Discover conservative so much as just capricious.  I think you can usually get in w/ them on a weaker profile than most of the other major lenders might require for an uns rewards card, but whatever logic they apply to CLI requests is kind of inscrutable, since they seem to almost approve or deny at random.  For a borrower with a strong credit profile, I'd expect Amex to be the issuer that was more generous w/ CLI, between the two of them, since you can potentially jam up your limit w/ 3x CLI to about $25-$35k and then keep going w/ $5k increases until you hit whatever max they're comfortable giving you, while Discover you more just have ask for CLI every so often and get whatever growth they do or don't give you.  But for a profile that is partway through rebuilding or has had some significant past issues, I would expect Discover to be more generous, both for approval odds and CLI's, since they're more comfortable in those score ranges.

If you have high util that would be a good thing to address, both for Amex, since I think they don't like to see high balances carried on either their own or other cards, and for your scores in general.  Iirc, util isn't weighed as heavily on dirty scorecards as it is on clean, but it's still a significant part of your score.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok yeah that all makes sense. Most of my bad stuff will be falling off over the next 2 years. Harley Davidson financial has a 30 day late from April of 2018 as my only late payment, and I had 2- 30 day lates earlier from an auto loan that has been pif and closed since early 2018. Those will be my only 2 late payments after all the charge offs are removed. I will never get in house financing through Harley ever again. The late they are reporting is due to a glitch in their payment center. Somehow a payment I made was reversed and sent back to my bank account. Payment originally went through, updated on my account page, got a thankyou email and all. Then it was returned like 3 days later. I didn't notice because we were in the middle of a move to Hawaii AND in the middle of selling our house in colorado. I found out about it and immediately called and made the payment. They agreed that the problem was an error, but refuse to say who the error belonged to and that it is also company policy to not remove any late payments for any reason whatsoever.
Message 5 of 10
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Isolated 30d lates at least don't hurt as bad as strings or more significant delinquencies, and they lose a lot of their sting after they've aged two years.  They also, iirc, don't segment you to a dirty card by themselves, so, once your chargeoffs and other significant bads are all aged off, you probably will see some good score gain, as long as everything else in your profile stays good.  If you like the rewards structures on your current Amex cards, just keep them open and in use until your profile is showing them a better face.  As long as you didn't have any chargeoffs with Amex, I expect that you'd see growth then.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, it sounds like your profile currently is still in rough shape similar to how it was when you got the $1k approvals/SLs.  What Amex is likely looking for is your profile to strengthen.  Once that happens, the door may open to those limits increasing. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not understand the asking for clis on this forum so frequently. I can not remember the last time I asked for a cli. The CCs will do it ever so often anyway and the best part is that helps your credit the most as it is unrequested and un utilized credit. 

Message 8 of 10
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not understand the asking for clis on this forum so frequently. I can not remember the last time I asked for a cli. The CCs will do it ever so often anyway and the best part is that helps your credit the most as it is unrequested and un utilized credit. 

The scoring effects of an auto-CLI and a consumer-initiated SP CLI would be the same.

Message 9 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

What may work for some may not necessarily work for others @Anonymous.  Everyone is different as far as their approach to financial and personal goals.  Some individuals like their CLs just as is while others may increase them, whether it's to have additional purchasing flexibility, utilization management, balance transfer opportunities, etc. Others do it because they can or want to achieve a specific TCL goal or appeasing the ego.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.