Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lack of Pre-Qual Offers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lack of Pre-Qual Offers

Hi All,

I was approved for my first unsecured card, a Capital One QS1 ($800 CL) on 8/6. Also, my scores (included in my signature) have all increased 40+ in that time. When I check the pre-qualify sites for AMEX, Chase, and Citi, I never receive any offers. I do have two 30-day late auto loan payments, the last of which was 16 months ago, and too many inqs on EQ. My AAoA is 4.3 years and I have no other baddies. I suppose my question is whether the length of revolving credit history is predominately the reason why I'm not receiving any offers. Would it be best to sit back and wait for another four or five statements to generate and allow several inqs to age on EQ before I check again for offers?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Lack of Pre-Qual Offers

Are you opted in?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I'm opted-in. I receive pre-qualifying offers from Capital One.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

I was approved for my first unsecured card, a Capital One QS1 ($800 CL) on 8/6. Also, my scores (included in my signature) have all increased 40+ in that time. When I check the pre-qualify sites for AMEX, Chase, and Citi, I never receive any offers. I do have two 30-day late auto loan payments, the last of which was 16 months ago, and too many inqs on EQ. My AAoA is 4.3 years and I have no other baddies. I suppose my question is whether the length of revolving credit history is predominately the reason why I'm not receiving any offers. Would it be best to sit back and wait for another four or five statements to generate and allow several inqs to age on EQ before I check again for offers?

Thank you!

What other cards/accounts do you have?  It's possible that despite a decent score, you just don't have enough credit to get those pre-qual offers.  Also, have you just tried to cold app for any of the cards?  I know Chase is inquiry-sensitive, but Amex isn't particularly.  And I know from personal experience that just because you aren't getting a pre-qual from them, that doesn't mean you won't get approved.  

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prequalifications are not sure fire, What that means? Don't rely on them and don't let it scare you from applying for something you may qualify for.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never get any pre qualified offers from anybody but Cap One, so you are not alone.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

That very well may be it. Although I have two auto loans, the QS1 is my only line of revolving credit. I haven't cold apped for any of the cards either, mostly due to the amount of inquiries I currently have and I certainly don't want to add to them, especially if I am denied. 

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That very well may be it. Although I have two auto loans, the QS1 is my only line of revolving credit. I haven't cold apped for any of the cards either, mostly due to the amount of inquiries I currently have and I certainly don't want to add to them, especially if I am denied. 

Someone in these boards said that Barclays has a pre-qual page again, so if you can find that, definitely try it out.  

Also, I don't know if you know this or not, but Discovery and BofA's pre-qual sites are unreliable.  They'll seem like they will offer you cards, but if you go back in and put in a fake name and SSN, you'll get the same offer.  I wish I had known that months ago when I apped for Discover based on their pre-qual.  Denied.  I took the HP for nothing.  In hindsight, I'm okay with not having the card, but I was sad at the time.  

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told BOA's prequals are only "valid" if you have a banking relationship with them and you dont go through the standard site, but rather go into your online banking and click on the my special offers page, and then click on credit cards. I apped for the travel rewards plat plus card this way and was approved, albeit with a lower limit then I expected. From what I have seen, there was NO HP - netiher of my credit monitoring apps (TU Or EX through USAA) picked up a hard pull, and they have gotten every other one.  The card is showing up on my online banking info already. I think BOA soft pulls it's customers every so often - like cap one does, and then makes their decision based on the soft pull. Like Cap one's cli's. 

Your mileage may vary. 

George

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never had preapproval offers in the mail from Chase and I tried their online preapproval tool and It couldn't find any offers for me. So, I just tried and applied sapphire online without the preapproval and I was approved with Chase sapphire preferred card Smiley Happy. Don't rely on preapproval and it's not a guarantee that you will be approved.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.