Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Langley Denial

tag
hzynneb
Valued Member

Langley Denial

I used to heard great things about Langley, but I guess they have changed. Applied for memebership and credit card a week ago. The membership and saving account was approved right away. I funded the account using a credit card, and the fund is still on hold more than a week later. I call them regarding my credit card application today, and was told I was denied. I asked would it be possible for a recon, the rep told me the one of reasons is too many new account, and they like to see it age. I provided POI along with my application, hard pull on EQ and Chexsystem. Debating if I want to close my membership, not really seeing anything interesting with this CU other than the cash back card, which I do want.  

EQ FICO Bankcard Score 8: 833 out of 900

EQ FICO Score 9: 818

EQ V3: 819 

AAoA 7y7m 

DoT: 8.3%

2/24 hard inquiries 

3/12  (include 1 personal loan 85% paid off) 

9/24 (include 1 personal loan 85% paid off) 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Langley Denial

Your stats seems pretty solid. I don't know how conservative they typically are, but yea I guess they're pretty picky.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 7
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@hzynneb wrote:

I used to heard great things about Langley, but I guess they have changed. Applied for memebership and credit card a week ago. The membership and saving account was approved right away. I funded the account using a credit card, and the fund is still on hold more than a week later. I call them regarding my credit card application today, and was told I was denied. I asked would it be possible for a recon, the rep told me the one of reasons is too many new account, and they like to see it age. I provided POI along with my application, hard pull on EQ and Chexsystem. Debating if I want to close my membership, not really seeing anything interesting with this CU other than the cash back card, which I do want.  

EQ FICO Bankcard Score 8: 833 out of 900

EQ FICO Score 9: 818

EQ V3: 819 

AAoA 7y7m 

DoT: 8.3%

2/24 hard inquiries 

3/12  (include 1 personal loan 85% paid off) 

9/24 (include 1 personal loan 85% paid off) 

Hang in there @hzynneb . I had a rough start with Langley. My numbers were good (not as good as yours though) and I did the same as you with starting a membership and a savings account & apped for the card, and got denied. 2.5 months later I got some pre-approval from them I believe online, took a shot and apped again and was approved. The card with the monthly CB choice and a maximum CB of $100 for the month if you do maximum spend is great and worth having in your arsenal someday. Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 3 of 7
blazerein
Established Contributor

Same here, I can't crack any approval from Langley.  Can't believe that they denied you with that score.  I left my account open for the FREE FICO 9 score.

AAoA 6yrs 3mos | Inquries: TU5/EQ5/EX8 | Utilization: 9% | Mortgage: 1 | Auto Loan: 2 | Personal Loan: 2 | Derogatory: 0

> >CREDIT UNION

EX- 585, TU- 583, EQ- 563 | CURRENT SCORE UPDATED: 2/2023 -> FICO 8 EX 754 TU 741 EQ 755 | FICO 9 EX 747 EQ 763 TU 756
Message 4 of 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Langley is weird they aren't income based or score based really as had similiar denial few years back.  To much credit or new credit I forgot tried them a few times I think once before a few years ago and denied as well scores high 700 or 800 and income 6 figures, etc..  Just figured I am not their target demographic and moved one alot of people have issues with them with high scores so OP isn't the only one.  Some get in with no issues, etc..  Each lender has what they want and I wasn't it and OP appears not to be it as based on scores and HP's doesn't appear much new credit as they stated.  

Message 5 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Yep there are some issuers that just don't seem to want to issue credit to applicants that already have significant unsecured credit extended or more than a handful of open cards regardless of scores and overall credit worthiness,   First Tech and NASA CUs and UMB immediately come to mind.   I assume it's their way of trying to improve the odds of their cards being used regularly and not sockdrawered for extended periods.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 7
hzynneb
Valued Member

I wish I had known about this beforehand, there are so many videos on YouTube that speaks hightly of Langley. I'm still shock over the denial. The only other creditor I can think of is capital one. I guess there are many more out there. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.