cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late payment and credit card app

tag
Pancho2

Late payment and credit card app

How long can you gernerally apply (and get approved) for credit card after I had a late payment on a personal loan in March? I want to get a card(s) with travel benefits for next year. 

My fico 8s are 699/722/735 and zero debt (except a personal loan)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Late payment and credit card app

@Pancho2 wrote:

How long can you gernerally apply (and get approved) for credit card after I had a late payment on a personal loan in March? I want to get a card(s) with travel benefits for next year. 

Hi @Pancho2 and Welcome!

The Impact of late payments hurt you less over time. Especially if it is only one 30 day?.

March is pretty recent, does it show "late" on all 3 credit bureaus?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Pancho2 wrote:

Hi @Pancho2 and Welcome!

The Impact of late payments hurt you less over time. Especially if it is only one 30 day?.

March is pretty recent, does it show "late" on all 3 credit bureaus?

In furtherance of that point, March was right in the beginning of the COVID era. You would have a shot, depending on the lender, at getting that late removed if you sent them a good will removal request, explain what happened, and how it won't happen again. 

Message 3 of 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Welcome, @Pancho2. Smiley Happy

I like the idea of trying the goodwill apporoach. Getting the late payment removed from your report would be the ideal solution.

Short of that, I'd wait for the late payment to become a year old. Your score won't fully recover, but lenders will acknowledge that your payment situation has improved.

Message 4 of 5
Pancho2

I tried disputing it and then calling them up. I got the merry go round.....plan sending a letter. It not a big deal but I am moving to Japan next year and wanted to accure some AA, UAL, Hilton and Marriott points before I go. Plan so far is to app with four of those in November/December. Thanks 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.