Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for help on next Credit card to apply for

tag
falcon7xx
Contributor

Looking for help on next Credit card to apply for

I am currently in the rebuilding phase of my credit.

Here are my scores:

Equifax - 643 Fico/620 Fico 8 Card score

Transunion - 666 Fico/680 Fico 8 Card score

Experian - 676 Fico/679 Fico 8 Card score

Current cards:

US Bank Secured - $300

OpenSky Secured - $400

What should be a card I apply for next. Its been a year since I applied for any?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for help on next Credit card to apply for

Go for the Cap1 QS1 or V1. I started out with the QS1 with a 300 dollar limit about 3 years ago and am up to a 9.3k CL. I seem to think that it helped get my score out of the 550 hole.

Message 2 of 13
falcon7xx
Contributor

I have a charge off with Capital one from 2 years ago. I dont know if that will hurt me if i apply with them.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check various sites for preapprovals.  With Capital One even if you are able to get the card (and probably unsecured) it may stay at a low limit for a long while and they cost you an HP on each bureau to get the card.  I wish I hadn't gotten mine honestly.  I expect it to remain under $1000 for a long time as they "bucket" you at approval so scores going up later or excellent usage of their card may not help much with CLIs.  The Discover secured card graduates at seven months I believe and has a better chance of growing in CL.  Or check with credit unions for secured or potential unsecured options.  Those are my recommendations.

Message 4 of 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Try Discover prequals. I bet they give you a decent SL if you’re prequaled. Good luck!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 13
falcon7xx
Contributor

I tried Discover and they did not come back with any pre-approvals due to a prior account. I had a charge off 3 years ago with them.

Message 6 of 13
falcon7xx
Contributor

Any other suggestions on banks to try?

Message 7 of 13
falcon7xx
Contributor

Which sites do you check for pre-approvals?

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Searching for it here in the forums should find you some or just do a Google search.  For Credit Unions see if any in your area look good to you or if you have military affiliation (you serve/served or immediate family is/has) you can look at NFCU.  They seem to be very generous even to rebuilders.  

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should try the Citi double cash card my scores were all around yours 4 months ago plus I had a paid collection on my report which got taken off by a good will letter thankfully so far I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Citi plus I wanted to build a relationship with them for future products or if your in the mood for a store card maybe Amazon or overstock full disclosure though I was denied for Amazon store card about 6 months ago hope this helps and good luck finding you're next card.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.