Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for some AmEx advise

tag
aleacosta5
Established Member

Looking for some AmEx advise

Hi everyone,

I was thinking on applying for an AmEx card, but as you know, there are so many different options. I reviewed each card perks and it's difficult to simply choose one for me.

I travel once or two times per year. I don't have a specific airline to travel with or hotel to stay (In case you're thinking about the Hilton and Delta cards). I was also thinking on a low-end CC since I don't have a lot of credit history (7+ months).

What I've analyzed is the following:

Cash Magnet:

- Is 1.5% cash back worth?

Blue Cash Everyday:

- I don't think I'll take advantage of the 3% CB since I usually shop at Costco / Target / Walmart. But the 20% back on Amazon is a good deal. The Cash Magnet is still a stronger candidate since I'll get 1.5% intead of 1% everywhere. (Outside Supermarkets and Gas).

EveryDay Card:

- Are MR better than Cash Back? This is the only non-charge non-AF card with MR. If MR are better than CB, I would take this one instead.

Green:

- Is the AF worth? I don't think I'm going to use the CLEAR membership. I'm not a US Citizen. But I like the $100 lounge credits. Also, not having a FTF is a nice deal.

Hilton / Delta:

- Like I said, I barely travel with Delta. But these cards don't have a FTF which is great.

I don't have SSN/ITIN. Is AmEx still allowing applications with the 0001 SSN?

My spending categories sorted by relevance are the following:

- Online purchases and subscriptions (Amazon, Ebay, etc).

- Department stores

- Airfare. (Twice per year at least).

- Dining / Coffee shops

- Ride share

- Groceries

- Hotels (I usually rent Airbnb, so this may be useless).

I appreciate your advice about this. I often read the forum and reading the experts should be great Smiley Happy

The options I mentioned are based on my analysis, but if you think a different AmEx card could be a better fit for me, mention it.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Looking for some AmEx advise

Well, I wasn't a Delta flyer until I got my Gold. The signup bonus paid for a free flight and there was no AF for the first year so I said why not. Now, I don't fly anyone else. Though, I might still sneak a Southwest $59 wanna get away 45 minute flight to Vegas in the future rather than spending an hour and a half detouring to L.A. on the way, with Delta.

Message 2 of 11
ccquest
Established Contributor

1.5% can be beaten by a number of cards out there. I went with the PenFed Power Cash Rewards for 2% everywhere, but another popular one is the Citi Double Cash or PayPal Cashback Master Card.

MR vs Cash Back is a personal decision. I'm not a big traveler at this point, so MR redemption wouldn't be for the highest conversion value so I stick with cash back. I got a Blue Cash Everyday to get my start with AmEx so I still get cash back and it covers me for 3% on groceries if I ever go to places that aren't Walmart/Target.

Not a fan of paying AFs at this time either, so passed on the Green.

Hilton/Delta...as already stated not a big traveler so not much point there for me. Altitude Go, Propel, and Power Cash Rewards are all 0 FTF so that's covered for me already too.

I would say since you're still new, avoid AF cards unless you can definitely take advantage of them beyond just breaking even on the fee. I also wouldn't really factor in things that you wouldn't have paid for before either. You're not saving $100 with the lounge credits if you never paid for them before, it's just a bonus.

Also, if you want better recommendations, include an idea of your general monthly or annual spend for different areas (dining, groceries, hotels, airfare, ride share, etc) and people can share their thoughts.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 3 of 11
aleacosta5
Established Member

@ccquest wrote:
1.5% can be beaten by a number of cards out there. I went with the PenFed Power Cash Rewards for 2% everywhere, but another popular one is the Citi Double Cash or PayPal Cashback Master Card.

MR vs Cash Back is a personal decision. I'm not a big traveler at this point, so MR redemption wouldn't be for the highest conversion value so I stick with cash back. I got a Blue Cash Everyday to get my start with AmEx so I still get cash back and it covers me for 3% on groceries if I ever go to places that aren't Walmart/Target.

Not a fan of paying AFs at this time either, so passed on the Green.

Hilton/Delta...as already stated not a big traveler so not much point there for me. Altitude Go, Propel, and Power Cash Rewards are all 0 FTF so that's covered for me already too.

I would say since you're still new, avoid AF cards unless you can definitely take advantage of them beyond just breaking even on the fee. I also wouldn't really factor in things that you wouldn't have paid for before either. You're not saving $100 with the lounge credits if you never paid for them before, it's just a bonus.

Also, if you want better recommendations, include an idea of your general monthly or annual spend for different areas (dining, groceries, hotels, airfare, ride share, etc) and people can share their thoughts.

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

I'll edit the main post to include an estimate of the anual / monthly spends.

I'll ignore the AF cards. You're absolutely right about seeing some perks as a bonus instead of "savings".

I'm not sure if I can get either the PenFed or PayPal card since I don't have SSN/ITIN, so basically I can stick with Citi, AmEx or BoA at the moment. WF said I can't get a card unless I have SSN.

I asked a Citi banker while applying for the Rewards+ if I can apply for the DC in the future, and he said he's not sure due to the NoSSN/ITIN. He said the Rewards+ is the only one I can get at the moment, which I took and use with small purchases to take advantage of the rounding and the initial offer. (30k TYP after spending $1.5k).

Message 4 of 11
ccquest
Established Contributor

If you don't have it already then, I would go for a BoA Cash Rewards. Set your 3% to online spending as that will cover Amazon and eBay, possibly airfare, ride share, and hotels depending on if you book them online and how it fully codes. Then you still get 2% for department stores (which the Amex BCE does not cover - BoA gives me the bonus for my Walmart, Amex won't), and 1% for everything else.

If you have a checking account with them, it's supposed to be easier to get approved and cash back gets bumped to 3.3% / 2.2% / 1.1%.

Mine has been a great card for over 7 years now, most of which it was my only card. Only downside in what you're looking for is that there are FTF.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 5 of 11
aleacosta5
Established Member

@ccquest wrote:
If you don't have it already then, I would go for a BoA Cash Rewards. Set your 3% to online spending as that will cover Amazon and eBay, possibly airfare, ride share, and hotels depending on if you book them online and how it fully codes. Then you still get 2% for department stores (which the Amex BCE does not cover - BoA gives me the bonus for my Walmart, Amex won't), and 1% for everything else.

If you have a checking account with them, it's supposed to be easier to get approved and cash back gets bumped to 3.3% / 2.2% / 1.1%.

Mine has been a great card for over 7 years now, most of which it was my only card. Only downside in what you're looking for is that there are FTF.

I wasn't aware of how valuable is BoA Cash Rewards. Sounds like a very good card.

Right now I only have a Citi and WF accounts. I'll ask my Citi banker once again about the DC, otherwise I may need to open an account with BoA and close WF since I don't get any benefits from that one.

The FTF is something that "I would like", but it's not a deal breaker.

Message 6 of 11
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@ccquest wrote:

That's only "for PenFed Honors Advantage Members" though, right?

Potential Future Cards
Message 7 of 11
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@ccquest wrote:

Just wanted to add that BCE does get 2% at many department stores. See which stores below:

• Bealls
  • Belk
  • Bloomingdale's
  • Bon Ton Stores
  • Boscov's
  • Century 21 Department Stores
  • Dillard's
  • J.C. Penney (JCP)
  • Kohl's
  • Lord & Taylor
  • Macy's
  • Neiman Marcus
  • Nordstrom
  • Saks Fifth Avenue
  • Stein Mart

I still wouldn't recommend it for OP if you don't shop at a standalone grocery store. It used to have 2% back at pharmacies but that seems to be gone now. 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 8 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

@ccquest wrote:

That's only "for PenFed Honors Advantage Members" though, right?

That's correct.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 9 of 11
ccquest
Established Contributor

I almost wonder if you could sneak Walmart and Target in as online shopping by using their app to pay or by ordering online for curbside/instore pickup too.

I always forget about those types of department stores that @SecretAzure mentioned being included for the BCE. When I think department store I jump to warehouse stores like Sam's Club and Costco or Walmart and Target instead.

as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.