Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to Get a Penfed Card

tag
odin_6

Looking to Get a Penfed Card

Hi There,

I am looking to get a credit card with Penfed. (Preferably Power Cash Rewards) I've been with them since Fed 2019.

I have a access America checking, along with a savings account.

My fico bankcard 9 scores are as follows:

Experian - 612

Transunion - 749

Equifax - 632

There is a discharged chapter 7 on my Equifax and Experian that is over a year old.

From some of the data points I've read I have saw some approvals with a similar situation but not exact.

I wanted to know what my chances are as I've been with Penfed for a while now and I've gotten idk how many letters in the mail inviting me to apply for the power cash rewards.

6 REPLIES 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Looking to Get a Penfed Card

Welcome @odin_6 

I havent been with them long enough to get offers. It will appear as My Offer for pre-quals. Its prety soild per other members:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Penfed-Pre-Qualified-offers-real-or-fake/t... 

Message 2 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@odin_6 wrote:

Hi There,

I am looking to get a credit card with Penfed. (Preferably Power Cash Rewards) I've been with them since Fed 2019.

Experian - 612

Transunion - 749

Equifax - 632

There is a discharged chapter 7 on my Equifax and Experian that is over a year old.

From some of the data points I've read I have saw some approvals with a similar situation but not exact.

I wanted to know what my chances are as I've been with Penfed for a while now and I've gotten idk how many letters in the mail inviting me to apply for the power cash rewards.

I'm just guessing, but I think you'd be better off waiting until your EQ score is more in the neighborhood of 700.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@odin_6 wrote:

Hi There,

Experian - 612

Transunion - 749

Equifax - 632

I'm just guessing, but I think you'd be better off waiting until your EQ score is more in the neighborhood of 700.

This is good advice though I will say the new Penfed might suprise.  I would risk one hp to find out but if denied give it at least another year before trying again. 

Message 4 of 7
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@odin_6 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I'd agree with the  700 score.

I've only been a PenFed member about 6 weeks.. I opened a savings account with them right after my Ch 13 discharge.

Yesterday I was approved for the Gold Visa... $2500 CL with a nice BT offer... $100 statement credit after $1500 spend and no AF.  Even though they market it as their lowest interest rate card I got the highest... 17%... LOL  I don't care though I mainly wanted to get in the door and I succeeded.  

Didn't apply for anything else.  myFICO said my EQ score was 677.  PenFed's approval email said it was 696.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 7
Caramelhunnyva
New Contributor

I would go ahead and apply. It's a pretty good card, earning rewards  easily. I think my score was 645 (maybe) and I was approved. Received multiple CLI since 

Starting Score: 499
Current Score: 640
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 6 of 7
7774x
Established Contributor

@odin_6 wrote:

Hi There,

Experian - 612

Transunion - 749

Equifax - 632

They refused on EQ at 680.. got it a Month later ..slightly higher fico

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.