cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to apply for a new card, preferably EQ pull!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking to apply for a new card, preferably EQ pull!

Hey all, I'm looking to apply for a new card if possible and looking for my options. Primarily looking for a Cash Back/Travel card but open to other options. Primary spending is grocery, gas, online shopping, restaurants. I'm located in TX if that helps figure out which bureaus gets pulled.

My current EQ score is 704 and TU Score is 645. Currently have 1 credit card: Cap1 QS 1,500 Limit, 100% Paid on time (always pay off full balance), account has been open for 1 year, 7 months. I also have 1 baddie on file (collection). I've been getting offers in the mail for the past couple of months to apply for Citi Double Cash (APR given), but not sure about whether I would get approved or not. Was looking at Discover IT but not sure if it fits my range.

What are my best options to apply for?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking to apply for a new card, preferably EQ pull!

Something AMEX would probably be best. Have you checked their pre-quals? I would say Gold card or blue cash everyday/preferred

Gold card is a charge card though and has a fairly high AF. But if you're able to take advantage of the credits the fee is effectivly $30

Affinity Cash Rewards: 15,000
Amex BCP: 30,000
Amex Platinum
BCU Cash Rewards: 18,000
Discover it: 14,700
TJX Mastercard: 2,500
Venmo: 10,000
>>23k student loan-payed off
Ficos 8's ~790
Inq: EX:1 EQ:1 TU:1
Message 2 of 14
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Sorry I missread EQ as EX, that is my fault. Although those cards may still be a good fit for you

Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually tried applying for an AMEX BCE 2 months ago and got denied, they pulled my EX. Smiley Frustrated 

That's my only inquiry on my report thus far, so maybe something else?

Message 4 of 14
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Ah, sorry about your denial. Who do you bank with? Would the BofA cash card be a possibility? It is a 3-2-1 card where you can choose each month what category "dining, gas, grocceries ect" you get 3% back on. My gut is go with a thin file friendly lender. Discover is also a very good option but obviously you are limited to 1% back unless you get the 5% category in one of those spend areas

Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do bank with BoA! I've had a credit card with them in the past, the Cash Rewards card. About 4 years ago I had gotten into some financial trouble and wasn't able to pay off my card, eventually I was able to pay off the balance in full and close the account though, so not sure how much that would factor into me applying for another card through them though since its been a few years...

What do you think about the Citi Double Cash?

Message 6 of 14
Wrigley2172
Frequent Contributor

Hahaha! Seems we have the same brain. I have no experience with the DC so I may not be the best person to ask but on the surface it seems like a pretty good card with the flat 2%. Have you gotten any pre-quals for it? I know there are huge amounts of threads on here about the DC from people who have had it long term

Amex Platinum
Ficos 8's ~790
Message 7 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all, I'm looking to apply for a new card if possible and looking for my options. Primarily looking for a Cash Back/Travel card but open to other options. Primary spending is grocery, gas, online shopping, restaurants. I'm located in TX if that helps figure out which bureaus gets pulled.

My current EQ score is 704 and TU Score is 645. Currently have 1 credit card: Cap1 QS 1,500 Limit, 100% Paid on time (always pay off full balance), account has been open for 1 year, 7 months. I also have 1 baddie on file (collection). I've been getting offers in the mail for the past couple of months to apply for Citi Double Cash (APR given), but not sure about whether I would get approved or not. Was looking at Discover IT but not sure if it fits my range.

Your best option is to work on your negatives. 

While some lenders may exclusively pull one CRA, a lot of them will pull two with borderline profiles, or do a combo of HP and SP. 

I dont know how solid Citi offer is. If there is opt out language, they are only invitation to apply.  Disco pre approvals while not set in stone  tend to be pretty reliable. 

You'd really have to apply to find out. 

Message 8 of 14
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Citi’s prequals are good, but they will most likely pull two bureaus. Have you looked at HSBC? They have a range of cards and are known for pulling EQ. I think they’re a little conservative, though.
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 14
seattlecredit08
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Rewards questions aside, some of the issuers which almost always pull Equifax (EQ) are:

• PenFed CU
  • BB&T
  • Suntrust
  • Synovus
  • Citizens Bank

This is based on my experience and also based on what I have seen others report here. Some of these have geo restrictions but I believe almost all allow in-branch applications.

However, in general, in my personal opinion, it may be best to wait until EQ score approaches or crosses a 720 FICO threshold (e.g. by decreasing utilization or by trying to fight off collection baddie).

Thanks!!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.