Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's - Talk Me Off the Ledge

tag
VintageMel
New Contributor

Macy's - Talk Me Off the Ledge

Opening a Macy’s credit card has long held a strong appeal for me, for largely illogical reasons that I can’t even really explain.  I don’t get it, I just really want this card.

Granted, I do shop a fair amount at Macy’s.  For the past two years if I had had the credit card I would have qualified for Platinum status.  So, it’s not like it would be useless to me.  On the other hand, I have other great cash back cards that would make more sense to use since I can use cashback rewards anywhere, and those cards often have additional offers for 5-10% back at Macy’s.

Shopping in-store can be a pain sometimes without the card.  They frequently offer extra sales that you can easily get online through the free Star Rewards membership, but in-store those same discounts are advertised for card holders only.  You can get the discount in-store without a card but I find that it often involves going through an annoying song and dance with the store associate, having to say never mind I’m just going to buy this stuff online before they magically figure out how to enter the correct coupon code.  This doesn’t happen all the time, but often enough that it gets old after a while.

On the con side, I have already opened 3 new cards in the last year:  Citi DC June 2020, Chase FU and Amex Delta Gold both in October 2020.  I have 4 inquiries on EX (1 falls off in August), 1 on EQ, and 2 on TU.  My intention was/is to remain in the garden for a while.  I am leery of going overboard with “credit seeking” behavior, especially in the current economy.

So overall I feel like the case for applying for this card is pretty weak, and yet … I still want to.  I have even ignored the temptation to go for Chase’s pre-approved offers for the CSP (despite that awesome sign up bonus), but for some reason this blasted card is like mental catnip.

Any advice on how to let your better judgment win out over “Ooh, but it’s shiny and I want it!”?  Or any Macy’s cardholders have any insight into other perks or benefits that might make the application worth it?

3/28/23
EX 810
EQ 831
TU ???
Cap1 QS March 2017 | AmEx BCP July 2019 | Citi DC June 2020 | AmEx Delta Gold October 2020 | Chase FU October 2020 | Macy's AmEx May 2021
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Macy's - Talk Me Off the Ledge

I can't talk you off the ledge. You'll understand why if you read my Nordstrom and Macy threads. I finally got mine last year during the pandemic in the middle of a 6 or 7 card, I hate to use the word, spree. $300 limit grown to over $7k in a year. You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers. You can have my Nordstrom one though.

Message 2 of 16
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

your scores are pretty strong and sounds like you have a strong profile.  Maybe the Macy's AMEX is within reach and would be best of both worlds.

Plus you can't beat the Frango Mints (sentimental attachment since they took over Marshall Fields in Chicago)

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 3 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

1 word...Covid!

Life's too short, if you want a cc go for itSmiley Wink.  Nothing wrong with having a guilty pleasure whether its a cc or a handbag, or a nice watchSmiley Wink.  Just me though, Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 16
VintageMel
New Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

1 word...Covid!

Life's too short, if you want a cc go for itSmiley Wink.  Nothing wrong with having a guilty pleasure whether its a cc or a handbag, or a nice watchSmiley Wink.  Just me though, Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy  Are you suggeting that the universe will not collapse on itself if I do not base a credit decision on thorough usefulness calculations and extensive over-thinking?  That's crazy talk. Smiley Wink  I guess maybe I get too hung up on the slow and very deliberate way I've built up my credit, and am sometimes overly cautious.

Also, @Brian_Earl_Spilner I'm glad there's no R2-D2 luggage invovled in my case or I would have caved immediately. 

3/28/23
EX 810
EQ 831
TU ???
Cap1 QS March 2017 | AmEx BCP July 2019 | Citi DC June 2020 | AmEx Delta Gold October 2020 | Chase FU October 2020 | Macy's AmEx May 2021
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VintageMel wrote:

Opening a Macy’s credit card has long held a strong appeal for me, for largely illogical reasons that I can’t even really explain.  I don’t get it, I just really want this card.

Granted, I do shop a fair amount at Macy’s.  For the past two years if I had had the credit card I would have qualified for Platinum status.  So, it’s not like it would be useless to me.  On the other hand, I have other great cash back cards that would make more sense to use since I can use cashback rewards anywhere, and those cards often have additional offers for 5-10% back at Macy’s.

Shopping in-store can be a pain sometimes without the card.  They frequently offer extra sales that you can easily get online through the free Star Rewards membership, but in-store those same discounts are advertised for card holders only.  You can get the discount in-store without a card but I find that it often involves going through an annoying song and dance with the store associate, having to say never mind I’m just going to buy this stuff online before they magically figure out how to enter the correct coupon code.  This doesn’t happen all the time, but often enough that it gets old after a while.

On the con side, I have already opened 3 new cards in the last year:  Citi DC June 2020, Chase FU and Amex Delta Gold both in October 2020.  I have 4 inquiries on EX (1 falls off in August), 1 on EQ, and 2 on TU.  My intention was/is to remain in the garden for a while.  I am leery of going overboard with “credit seeking” behavior, especially in the current economy.

So overall I feel like the case for applying for this card is pretty weak, and yet … I still want to.  I have even ignored the temptation to go for Chase’s pre-approved offers for the CSP (despite that awesome sign up bonus), but for some reason this blasted card is like mental catnip.

Any advice on how to let your better judgment win out over “Ooh, but it’s shiny and I want it!”?  Or any Macy’s cardholders have any insight into other perks or benefits that might make the application worth it?

I applied for the Macy's Amex after having opened up 5 or more credit cards before them.   Got approved for $1000 which is the standard amount they give you when you apply online.   I heard they do $2000 if you apply in person at the store.   My credit limit is now $10k after about 6 months with them.   

Message 6 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@VintageMel wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

1 word...Covid!

Smiley Happy  Are you suggeting that the universe will not collapse on itself if I do not base a credit decision on thorough usefulness calculations and extensive over-thinking?  That's crazy talk. Smiley Wink  I guess maybe I get too hung up on the slow and very deliberate way I've built up my credit, and am sometimes overly cautious.

Also, @Brian_Earl_Spilner I'm glad there's no R2-D2 luggage invovled in my case or I would have caved immediately. 

R2 pushed me over the ledge Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 16
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

@VintageMel I'd say go for it . . . Macy's is my store (LOL) and there are so many perks that it's well worth it. In fact, on yesterday I ordered my mother-in-law (age 85) a robe and it cost me only $0.83 because I redeemed some of my Star Rewards Money . . . I just love shopping at Macy's and they recently raised my CL to $12k. You can't go wrong with a Macy's card . . . Yes, go Macy's Platinum!!!

Macy's Order 5-22-2021.jpg

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 8 of 16
VintageMel
New Contributor

@babygirl1256 wrote:

@VintageMel I'd say go for it . . . Macy's is my store (LOL) and there are so many perks that it's well worth it. In fact, on yesterday I ordered my mother-in-law (age 85) a robe and it cost me only $0.83 because I redeemed some of my Star Rewards Money . . . I just love shopping at Macy's and they recently raised my CL to $12k. You can't go wrong a Macy's card . . . Yes, go Macy's Platinum!!!

Macy's Order 5-22-2021.jpg

This may be just what I needed to hear.  Especially since Star Money Bonus Days start in a few days, it would be nice to maximize that.

Plus if no one on the MyFico forums think this is a terrible idea, then maybe it isn't. Unless you are all just bad influences. Smiley Tongue

3/28/23
EX 810
EQ 831
TU ???
Message 9 of 16
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

They just sent me $50 and 2, 25% coupons

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.