Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make it make it sense someone please

tag
HomelessNinja
Established Member

Make it make it sense someone please

If nothing else maybe just sharing will help someone else.

As of10/22 My credit report/s was a blank slate. Not even a soft pull anywhere.

I started with a Chime Credit Builder card I set DD of $200 each paycheck for the card. 3 mo mark EQ/TU VS3 of 698 populated .

4th month 700 VS3, no Fico or EQ score. However Capital One was giving me pre approvals on everything so I regrettably Applied for the Wal-Mart Mcard. I was pretty pumped when I got the approval. Then reality hit me with 29% and 300CL. I wanted to pass but tbh I was lucky to get that.

Aside from CapOne the only other passable pre app card success was a petal1 but nah, Im pretty sure just sticking with the Chime card for 6-8mo would have been better.

So 0-4mos in I was able to land an unsecured card without a single prior Hard Pull and $0 investment.

Chime really can do work for someone if they have no credit and no outside help.

After 5mo and still no Fico Experian still wouldn't budge off 6mo cred history. So I went and ahead and did their Experian Boost. Which looked way more gimmicky than Chime did. 

It was pretty frustrating to setup and there's next to no information anywhere on how to get any results from it. There's only either anecdotes of people calling it scam/trash/data mine scheme. Or people who tried it got a few points from adding their Netflix bill. Or people who had no reason to use it in the first place. After MUCH trial and error adding/removing banks/cards bills. I could only get two bills to show up.

Experian still wasn't budging so I kept at it and finally got a 3rd bill on there. Within 24hrs I had an actual Fico score. 

5mos in I landed an unsecured card and Fico scores around 685 my entire credit history being a Chime account age 4-5mo, 1 hard pull $0 invested.

With only the shame of wasting several hours of my life trying to figure out how to get my cable bill and rent on my credit report. Again.

Experian Boost not a total scam. It really shouldn't even be in a discussion with Chime a real path for some. It did have a pretty great impact on my situation.

1. I was still a month out from being scorable and 3mo out from CapOne even reporting. 2. I got dinged pretty hard on the CapOne inquiry(-18pts) being as it makede up 1/2 of my credit history. 

Experian Boost is probably little to no use to anyone that doesnt meet conditions of thin-0 credit and less than 1yr history. 

Approaching 6mo mark of credit history and I have pretty much poked all of the pre app cards after generating a Fico score with baffling results. 

I pre app the Ikea project card and was qualified for 1k.

Decided to give it a week and test again just to be cautious. Same result so I accepted and was instantly approved. 

Of course I immediately followed that up with a mistake by filling by filling out the app for the cobranded card. Which was a decision by mail.  So I ended up with 2 separate hard pulls. I had read a couple of reports by people stating they got approved for both with only 1 App so I'm guessing I did them in the wrong order. 

I have gotten the shopping cart pre qualify offer from Express and that store that sells chunky menswear didn't pursue either offer.  I believe most of the Comnety Cards were a pre offer approval. 

Discover pre qual only gives the secured card result. However every time I log into Experian the Discover cards are shown as my 5star iron clad matched offers. OK sure

Bank of America showed me all their cards with only the word "offer" showing so I just went ahead and  closed outta that.

Now we have the rejections. 

The only one that acrually stings is Wells Fargo. I've had a Checking and savings with them for over 10yrs They have no offers for me not even the cobranded ones.

Chase is instant rejection I feel like I'm blacklisted if thats real because of a CC charge off 15yrs ago that I Co's for someone who immediately maxed it out then passes away. 

The next one is just plain annoying and that is Syncron they deny everything without fail. Why? What's the deal. They have more than a few offerings that based on what I have been approved for else where and lots of approvals for others to suggest should atleast be some kinda offer. Not a single one of their cards even places that have a in store card is rejected. The only explanation I can come up with is that I've read they pull TU and for some reason my TU report has a lot of inaccurate personal info. There's 4 misspellings of my name. They also have every phone number/address I've lived at for the past 30yrs. They have my current address as one from 22yrs ago even they have my most recent address. Is any of this a really a reason for denial? I have a unique name that's listed correct as the first one. I was denied by someone else who pulled TU it had no actual denial reason. Its only stated that they obtained my credit score of 720 which is the best one I have.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Chazzay12
Frequent Contributor

Re: Make it make it sense someone please

A lot of info here. I'd say now that you have a couple of cards, just let them age with on time payments. Chase may or may not let you back in, but they also want at least a year of credit history. Lots of reports here that they have a looooong memory. I'd personally stay away from store cards unless you shop there a ton and reap a lot of benefits. Discover secured is a great card, often unsecuring at 7 months. APR doesn't matter if you PIF. 

Also, I wouldn't bother with Experian boost. It won't affect what creditors will see when they pull your credit. They won't see the "boost" only you will. Their credit card recommendations are also just marketing. Wouldn't pay much mind to them. 

best of luck. Again, I would sit back and let your current accounts age with in time payments before apping for anything else. Thats probably the most important for your situation right now. 

Discover It (Student) $1500 | Capital One QS $2300 | Amex BCE $4800 | Chase FU $3200 | Amex Green NPSL | CSP $4200 | Discover it $3000
Car loan w/ Langley 3.5%
Homeowner since April 2023

Starting Score: 580s
Current Score as of March 2024: EX 661, TU 624, EQ 655
Goal Score: 700+, working on paying high utl cc debt

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
HomelessNinja
Established Member

Hey thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes I have been very cautious for awhile now. So solid advice. 

However I do I have to disagree with Experian Boost being a waste of time, because it has already worked for me. The affect that it had was not only for me to see. I had an unscorable file with less than 6mo history within 24hrs of adding 3 bills via Experian Boost a Fico Score was generated and opened up entirely new approvals.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure how much Chime helped you. I was unscorable in May 2021. My file was so empty that two of the three credit bureaus couldn't even verify I existed. But I was still able to get a credit card from Capital One. The Platinum had no rewards, and my SL was only $300, but they gave me an unsecured card.

I agree that Chase is probably off the table, at the moment. I applied for the Flex at the 6 month mark, and they shot me down. And I had an advantage you don't -- I was added to an old AU card and it reported just a couple weeks before I was due to become scoreable, so my starting scores were a lot higher than yours. The consensus here seems to be that Chase wants to see at least 1 year of personal credit history, though they do sometimes make exceptions for people who have a relationship with them.

You're a young file. Most lenders are going to be hestitant to extend you credit. After I was rejected by Chase, I targeted lenders who were known to be friendly to new files. I got a card from Navy Fed at 6 months, and then a card from FNBO at 9 months. The one year mark seemed to matter a lot. Once I passed it, I stopped getting offers from subprime lenders in the mail, and prequals improved. I was able to get cards from Citi and Elan at the 18 month mark.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. There's nothing you can do to increase the age of your oldest card, except wait.

Message 4 of 9
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

@HomelessNinja wrote:

....The only explanation I can come up with is that I've read they pull TU and for some reason my TU report has a lot of inaccurate personal info. There's 4 misspellings of my name. They also have every phone number/address I've lived at for the past 30yrs. They have my current address as one from 22yrs ago even they have my most recent address. Is any of this a really a reason for denial? I have a unique name that's listed correct as the first one. I was denied by someone else who pulled TU it had no actual denial reason. Its only stated that they obtained my credit score of 720 which is the best one I have.

You should request a copy of your TU report, via mail so you get the full detailed one and dispute every erroneous address, name, phone #, etc. TU is really responsive about correcting things, at least, they were when I had this kind of issue (4-6 years ago).

You may also benefit from putting a freeze on your TU. The fact that they have an address from 22 years ago is a HUGE problem. You don't want to have lenders soliciting you at other addresses.

I'd check your other reports for inaccuracies too.

Best wishes.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 5 of 9
HomelessNinja
Established Member

Thanks for suggestions, everyone who rely on TU first is an auto denial.

*edit*

They have

13 Address for me with the "current" one reported in 2005

9 Phone numbers

EQ/EX Only show my current and previous address/phone which previous is 7yrs+ with current 

Message 6 of 9
HomelessNinja
Established Member

I wasn't aware of the 1yr history possibility with Chase. That would make sense. I have scoured everywhere. Maybe I willfully ignored this.

I also opened a Checking Account with them no issue I don't know if that would be something they would deny for past history or not.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@HomelessNinja wrote:

I wasn't aware of the 1yr history possibility with Chase. That would make sense. I have scoured everywhere. Maybe I willfully ignored this.

I also opened a Checking Account with them no issue I don't know if that would be something they would deny for past history or not.

I completely missed the 1 year standard for Chase as well. It's easy to overlook things.

Deposit account rejections are rarer than credit card rejections (they're not extending you credit), but are typically based on Chex Systems. They track things like overdrafts, bouncing checks, or opening too many accounts. Though there are dozens of other credit bureaus that could conceivably be a factor, like SageStream or LexisNexus.

https://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/documents/cfpb_consumer-reporting-companies-list.pdf

Message 8 of 9
HomelessNinja
Established Member

Thanks for sharing that is great resource. I didn't find anything from the ones I was able to check. 

Google suggested randomly that I search my name for info about me to have it removed from searches and there's only two results the first being. Some people finder site which

All of the old adresses and name mistakes mirror the inaccuracies of my credit reports on a single people search site. Who exactly is the culprit here?

The other result is some mountain area in Asia that is almost Identical to my name being off by missing a letter.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.