cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miss Disco Pre-Approval...what's a girl to do?

tag
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

Miss Disco Pre-Approval...what's a girl to do?

First of all, thanks to all on these boards who share their wisdom.   I've been gardening lately in hopes of apping with Navy Federal (I am a new member).  I've paid down my pitiful starter cards (USAA secured, QS1, 1st Premier and Credit One) to all under 8.9%.  I paid my only collection (a PRA that was 6 years old) under their new PFD policy and it should be off in less than 30 days.  That only leaves 3 closed CO's that are between 6 and 6.5 years old.  So was looking to app with Navy Federal next month after the PRA disappears.  HOWEVER...I wandered over to the Discover pre-qual site after seeing all the accolades the boards were giving Disco.  Low and behold...I am pre-approved for not one, but two Discovers (fixed interest rate)...a Discover It and a Discover Chrome. Should I follow through?  Should I wait and follow through with my plan for Navy first then hit up Discover?  I'm on the horns of a dilemna!  I've never been pre-approved for anything, and now to be courted by two...

Starting FICO 8 December 2017

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Miss Disco Pre-Approval...what's a girl to do?

Wait until the collection falls off so you hopefully get a better APR and SL with Disco and go for both at the same time. Neither lender bats an eye at credit seeking. 

Message 2 of 10
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wait until the collection falls off so you hopefully get a better APR and SL with Disco and go for both at the same time. Neither lender bats an eye at credit seeking. 

That's a great piece of info.  Thanks...I will sit on my hands until that sucker is gone!

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Peazmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's a great piece of info.  Thanks...I will sit on my hands until that sucker is gone!

If you look at my sig, I have chronological order of the cards I added from March of last year with Disco to February of this year with DCU. In that time, my Disco started at $7500 and hit $11,200 in January and I grew from $3000 with NFCU in September to $14,700 when I picked up the Platinum mid-December. 

They definitely don’t mind the seeking lol

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

+++1 to the above. 

I agree with the above! However, every profile is different when it comes to risk.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

+++1 to the above. 

I agree with the above! However, every profile is different when it comes to risk.

Yes but my point was specifically that doing Disco and NFCU back to back won’t spook either of them. 

Message 6 of 10
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Good things happen to those who wait sometimes... When it comes to Miss Disco... waiting a little bit can pay off... You want a card with room to grow and she will oftentimes sweeten the offer in relation to the score improving..... Its not long.. just wait a bit..... and then try the prequalify again.... this was true for me when i got my first preapproval after a denial that left me with cold feet.... the APR wasnt in the 20s and was actually more in line with the better vs best offer... but even the preapproval offers got lower aprs as time progressed....

That said.. Miss Disco does entertain APR reductions, both temporary (meh), permanent (usually 1-2 points), or another 0% on new purchases for 12 month offer (Woot!) you can ask every 6 months.. but the 0% ones require an additional *gap* between them... AFTER your into period is over...... 

-J

Message 7 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Maybe ask her if she would interested in dating an average joe?Smiley Wink Im no Brad Pitt but at least i can spell ITSmiley Happy🙋‍♂️
Message 8 of 10
Peazmom
Frequent Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Maybe ask her if she would interested in dating an average joe?Smiley Wink Im no Brad Pitt but at least i can spell ITSmiley Happy🙋‍♂️

@AverageJoesCredit, I’m sure you are a catch...the ability to spell IT is just icing on the cake! 😉

FICO 8 as of 6/7/20

Sock Drawer:

Message 9 of 10
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Poor Joe seems like the infamous Backburner Guy as far as Miss Disco is concerned....

You know the one you can call when things fall through but never gets the attention they deserve....

Occasionally will throw him a bone....

From one of my more interesting music groups... Unfortunately i think even their name would get clipped by the censor..

JHCFHOA  ..... warning ... their music in general is not necessarily suitable for work, though this one is tame... (a lot of innuendos and frank discourse and even a few choice words).....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9oUG1DDpTA

Backburner Guy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.