Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NASA FCU are they still a thing?

tag
nuohlac
Valued Contributor

NASA FCU are they still a thing?

So I can see the NASA craze was so 5-6 years ago. In 2019 are they still a decent CU to try and join and apply for CC's.

Yes, they have great card designs which just catch the eye.

Any current info and opinions would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

21 REPLIES 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: NASA FCU are they still a thing?

After that frenzy period and some account closures, most folks left the NASA launch pad and went elsewhere, namely Navy and PenFed plus other CU gems that were discovered along the way.

They are a lot more conservative with approvals and CLIs than back in the day and more prone to declining applications if there's 'too much' available credit. A quick search in the Approvals section displays a sprinkle of the last remnants around a couple years ago.

So, the days of those $30K out-of-the-gate approvals have long sailed for sure.
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve been a member since October 2018. I’ve apped for a credit card twice and declined both times. At this point I will just wait for a pre approval if they do such a thing. They pull EX 2 Mortgage for credit products.
Message 3 of 22
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
After that frenzy period and some account closures, most folks left the NASA launch pad and went elsewhere, namely Navy and PenFed plus other CU gems that were discovered along the way.

They are a lot more conservative with approvals and CLIs than back in the day and more prone to declining applications if there's 'too much' available credit. A quick search in the Approvals section displays a sprinkle of the last remnants around a couple years ago.

So, the days of those $30K out-of-the-gate approvals have long sailed for sure.

Was it JFCU or NASA that was reading these boards ?.....or both ?

I remember when some MF member let it out they were a 'thing' on a phone call and they started reading.

That was the beginning of the end.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking it was Langley FCU
Message 5 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Tried twice over the years, not impressed with how they handle applications. Blessing in disguise that i never actually joined. Ill just watch Discovery ChannelSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 22
nuohlac
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess, I will just keep it moving into the Garden like I should.

Message 7 of 22
Josh2942
Established Contributor

I was apart of the initial craze back in the day. Approved for a 30K credit line. Sock drawed for a couple years. Did a balance transfer for 6 months. Back in the sock drawer
Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 8 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I really wanted the Space Shuttle card but after reading someone's description of it, it may have been @Gmood1 , im glad my 2 attempts at membership fell through. I'll happily continue with Navy, Langley and PSECU who dont seem to mind us incomely challengedSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 22
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit
They've been fine with me.
I set up a small transfer from another account to deposit monthly to show activaty.
Also put the CC on a small recurring monthly bill. I try to do this with all my Credit Unions I have a CC with or want to keep around.
4 years later still going strong.
I don't think relationships mean much with large banks. I do believe they matter when it comes to credit unions.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.