cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU 2nd Card approval odds for the Flagship

Highlighted
Established Member

NFCU 2nd Card approval odds for the Flagship

Hi all! I am approaching my 91/3 and I want to apply for the Flagship. My current TU FICO is 765, I don't have any baddies, utilization is 1%, and no debt. I currently have 11 other cards and My last inquiry and newest account was my NF More Rewards 3 months ago with a small SL of only $500, not sure why so low. I also have a checking and savings with NF.  What are my chances of approvals for the Flagship? Or what other card do you recommend? Any suggestions would be helpful.

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Epic Contributor

Re: NFCU 2nd Card approval odds for the Flagship

@Dofizzle wrote:

Hi all! I am approaching my 91/3 and I want to apply for the Flagship. My current TU FICO is 765, I don't have any baddies, utilization is 1%, and no debt. I currently have 11 other cards and My last inquiry and newest account was my NF More Rewards 3 months ago with a small SL of only $500, not sure why so low. I also have a checking and savings with NF.  What are my chances of approvals for the Flagship? Or what other card do you recommend? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Hi @Dofizzle and Welcome!

With a low starting CL on your first card, I would not recommend Flagship for your 2nd card,

as the minimum CL is $5000 ..it is possible that you could not meet that requirement and be denied.

Plus right now the Flagship has no sign up bonus incentive.

I would go for the CashRewards ... you could always product change it to Flagship,

down the road when you have a $5000 limit.

Also some good reading here;

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Navy-Federal-Thread-for-CLI-and-Additional...

Message 2 of 32
Highlighted
Established Member

@M_Smart007 Thank you for your advice. I was just reading a few scenarios where one person went from a secured card to a 25k SL Platinum. Another situation, someone went from a 1k SL to a 25k Flagship. Their FICO were around 650. Do you think I will get denied at least a 5k SL?

Message 3 of 32
Highlighted
Epic Contributor

@Dofizzle wrote:

@M_Smart007 Thank you for your advice. I was just reading a few scenarios where one person went from a secured card to a 25k SL Platinum. Another situation, someone went from a 1k SL to a 25k Flagship. Their FICO were around 650. Do you think I will get denied at least a 5k SL?

@Dofizzle  I would not chance a denial, go for the CashRewards, spend and get the "sign up bonus"

"Plus, earn $150 bonus cash back when you spend $2,000 within 90 days of account opening."

If you get $5000 or more, you can ask them to change it to a Flagship.

(Wait until you get the CashRewards Sign up Bonus, before changing to the Flagship)

Message 4 of 32
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Dofizzle wrote:

Hi @Dofizzle and Welcome!

With a low starting CL on your first card, I would not recommend Flagship for your 2nd card,

as the minimum CL is $5000 ..it is possible that you could not meet that requirement and be denied.

Plus right now the Flagship has no sign up bonus incentive.

I would go for the CashRewards ... you could always product change it to Flagship,

down the road when you have a $5000 limit.

Also some good reading here;

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Navy-Federal-Thread-for-CLI-and-Additional...

+3. Income and DTI Debt To Income will also be a factor.

Plus, SUB Sign Up Bonus is worth about a $500 value. Maybe pass on the Flagship for now.

Message 5 of 32
Highlighted
Established Member

@M_Smart007 Thanks for the input, I think I'll do this, that plan sounds good considering that card is the only one with a SUB. A question about SL, if I'm approved would my SL be the same across the board regardless of the card? I have seen some CashRewards with high SL. Is there a max for each card? For example; would the platinum extend a higher SL than the CashRewards? 

Message 6 of 32
Highlighted
Established Member

@AllZero My DTI is in a very good place. Report almost 100k with no debt. Never carry a card balance, no auto loan, no mortgage payment. Not sure why they only gave me $500 SL. I was baffled and almost closed the account. 

Message 7 of 32
Highlighted
Epic Contributor

@Dofizzle wrote:

@M_Smart007 Thanks for the input, I think I'll do this, that plan sounds good considering that card is the only one with a SUB. A question about SL, if I'm approved would my SL be the same across the board regardless of the card? I have seen some CashRewards with high SL. Is there a max for each card? For example; would the platinum extend a higher SL than the CashRewards? 

@Dofizzle, The Under writing for the Platinum, CashRewards, GO Rewards and MoreRewards are basically the same.

The Maximum limit on each of those cards is $50K each and The Flaghip Max, is $80K

(The most you can have is $80K total across all cards with NFCU)

In other words, you cannot have (3) cards with $50K limits each, as The Maximum that Navy allows is $80K

Hope that helps?

Message 8 of 32
Highlighted
Epic Contributor

@Dofizzle wrote:

@AllZero My DTI is in a very good place. Report almost 100k with no debt. Never carry a card balance, no auto loan, no mortgage payment. Not sure why they only gave me $500 SL. I was baffled and almost closed the account. 

We will never fully know why Navy does, what Navy does .. But I can assure you if you have patience and treat them well,

They will reward you. I have seen it many times. The best thing is to not get frustrated, and keep using/paying on your card.

Message 9 of 32
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

+100 on the above ^ post by @M_Smart007 .  My Fico 9 is only 686, BK7 and serious delinquency blah blah blah, how do I put this, a very dirty file, lol.  Started out w/ a secured card, and in just a lil under 9 months later, I have a total limit of 42k across 3 cards w/ Navy.

With your squeaky clean file and a very good DTI ratio, the sky is unlimit for you.  Hang in there my friend @Dofizzle .

ETA:  Look at my 76 gas card, I have it for 5 yr. and 1 mo. and my limit is still only $1480 and have been denied many times for CLI b/c of serious delinquency.  lol

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.