Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU CLI when score has gone down?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU CLI when score has gone down?

I have had a NFCU credit card for years now. It started as a secured card... kept that for 3 years, never missed a payment. Went to try to convert it and they said they didn't do that, that I had to apply for a regular card. I did, got approved with a $5000 limit, 8 months ago. I have never missed a payment. I carry a balance on it around $4500 though. Here's the kicker... I had many many medical issues this past year that have all hit my credit as collections since getting this card 8 months. My scored dropped to 573. Will a CLI autmatically be declined based on the score or the collections? Or do they look at my history with them? TIA!

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU CLI when score has gone down?

Welcome to the forums. I would definitely suggest paying down that card and others if you have them. Lowering your overall UTI will help your scores rise and put you in a better spot with NFCU and other lenders.

With Navy your mileage will vary and they do have a internal score but the UTI might prevent them from approving a second card or CLI. I received my first card with a 1000 limit then 3 months later a second card with a 15K limit but my UTI is 2 or 3% usually.

I’m sure others will also provide some advice here as well. Good luck.
Message 2 of 6
rbentley
Established Contributor

Your UTL is alarmingly high at 90%.  I really don't think they will give you a CLI even though you despirately need one on this card.  Your high UTL is hurting your score.  Get your UTL down below 28.9% and you will stand a much better chance.  Good luck.

Message 3 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If any lender would give a cli at that score it would be Navy as history does help. However, even Navy may want to limit risk right now.
Message 4 of 6
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I would highly recommend bringing your balance down and working on the collections before doing anything else. The last thing you want is to be on the radar and risk CLDs or even AA. With medical collections, there are more options on what you can do to help them off your CRs.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 5 of 6
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Welcome OP

Even though NFCU is one of the best banks for giving out monster limits, they also keep an eye on one’s credit profile through ARs. So, until you get your UT down substantially and stop having collections post to your credit report, you will not receive a CLI.

Work on getting those two things under control. Falling FICO scores is not good.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.