Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Flagship app for a new shipman

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Flagship app for a new shipman

Hey all! Hope you all are staying safe out there. 

I recently have become a new member of NFCU. Looking to switch over my banking to them. (Plan to refinance my car with them in a couple months) Obviously though, I'm interested in one of their cards right now... the Flagship! Smiley Happy As a CU card, it will give me some benefits my other cards don't have. The problem is all the other NFCU cards don't offer much for me that I have on other cards. 

I hear it's commonly a hard card to get for a first time card from them. Any DPs on that? I don't have the best profile but I make do. Smiley Happy 

TU: 662 (per Disco app)

EXP: 703 (Exp app)

AAoA: 3 years, 1 month

Total CLs: 25K

Largest CL: 9.5K

Last card obtained: CSP, Nov 4, 2019 @ 5/24

Any insights and DPs would be awesome! Thanks! 

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

Re: NFCU Flagship app for a new shipman

It's not necessarily a hard card to get it has the same underwriting standards as the rest but it being a signature only card, it has a 5k minimum limit. With that said it is possible to get it as long as your scores (TU9), income, DTI and other factors in your profile support it. I think Navy can be generous even with first cards based on some DP's seen here. 

Seeing the big difference in your listed scores, is there anything suppressing your TU?

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a collection paid 4 years ago on TU (Highest $772 now reported as $0). Just have to wait for it to fall off I suppose. I was young and didn't understand credit back then. Trust me, dragged it from the depths of high 400s three years ago. 

Message 3 of 36
Caught750
Valued Contributor

@addicted_to_credit wrote:

It's not necessarily a hard card to get it has the same underwriting standards as the rest but it being a signature only card, it has a 5k minimum limit. With that said it is possible to get it as long as your scores (TU9), income, DTI and other factors in your profile support it. I think Navy can be generous even with first cards based on some DP's seen here. 

Seeing the big difference in your listed scores, is there anything suppressing your TU?

That's one train of thought.  However, anecdotally, there are many DPs to dispute that.  Mine included.  

Joined NFCU, apped for Flagship next day, denied.  Apped More Rewards (same profile) and approved for significantly more than $5k.  91/3 CLI got me to $23k.  

I'm closing on a home in 2.5 weeks and Flagship is on my list of apps when I walk out.  Hopefully I have better luck with it as a second card.

Others have apped for Flagship, with near 800 scores, as a first card and have gotten $10k limits as opposed to $15-25k like NFCU is known for.

YMMV and it could go either way.

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I'm thinking. Some people with better profiles don't get it and some people closer to me squeak by. If I was planning to cancel my Gold Card, the More Rewards would be an easy choice. And then I have my QS with plans to get a CFU next year so the Cash Rewards doesn't make sense either. 

Haha I just want Navy to love me. I'm gonna finish crunching numbers with the SUB and make a decision. I don't mind a hard pull as I don't plan to refinance my car for a couple more months. If I'm denied, it just means it wasn't meant to be and I will hold off for a bit. Im not hurting, just have a tuition payment coming up and would like a SUB. 

Message 5 of 36
Caught750
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. Some people with better profiles don't get it and some people closer to me squeak by. If I was planning to cancel my Gold Card, the More Rewards would be an easy choice. And then I have my QS with plans to get a CFU next year so the Cash Rewards doesn't make sense either. 

Haha I just want Navy to love me. I'm gonna finish crunching numbers with the SUB and make a decision. I don't mind a hard pull as I don't plan to refinance my car for a couple more months. If I'm denied, it just means it wasn't meant to be and I will hold off for a bit. Im not hurting, just have a tuition payment coming up and would like a SUB. 

My gold card was closed for that reason.  I have More Rewards and NFCU doesn't have an AF or make you jump through hoops to use credits.  I have Aspire and Hilton is the main use of MR points.  Chase doesn't make you pay excise fees to transfer UR points to airlines.  I'll book Delta on my Altitude if I'm paying.

Take a shot at Flagship, if they say no give some other cards a thought.  Does More Rewards ultimately make more sense than Gold?  Do you have a low APR VISA,  Platinum may be a good choice.  Building history can only help.   

PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 6 of 36
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@addicted_to_credit wrote:

I would actually disagree with the first part here as it has been shown by various dps here how rare it is to get the FS as your first card. The UW actually is tougher than the other because of that 5k limit. Even if one has 5k limits already its not a slamdunk they willgive it to you. I think Navy looks at many factors to determine if a person qualifies for a FS like income, history, spend ability, score dti, amongst others. 

Im a big proponent of going for whatever card suits your needs most, hp be darned, but i know not everyone feels the same. Even though another card may not  meet your needs in rewards, nothing wrong in setting up your Navy foundation by using a card that can help build 3 or 6 month history so that when you do  app the FS, they have more reason to give you more consideration.  Best of luck and @addicted_to_credit  no beef here lol just offering my average opinionSmiley Happy

Message 7 of 36
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I did get Flagship as my first NFCU card ($24k if I recall), but as mentioned up above it really depends on your profile.  Mine was well-aged, squeaky clean and they asked for POI upon application, which I provided immediately.  I'd suggest trying for Flagship if that's the one that makes most sense for you, and if denied app for another card.

Message 8 of 36
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

@averagejoescredit, no beef at all buddy, I've seen a few flagship first cards and not in any way is it more common than any other card. I probably should have been a little more clearer but hey sometimes that happens!

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 9 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apped for the Flagship. Not an instant denial! I got the message:

NFCU App 3-28-20.png

Just gonna wait by the phone for the next couple days and see what happens! Smiley Happy Got documents to ready to send if needed. This young shipman could get sunk, but it was worth it. Will keep you updated. 

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.