Same happened to me.

I got denied for Flagship.

I applied for rewards card and got $1k SL

then I got CLI for Rewards to $3k

then I got Flagship $20k SL

then I got More Rewards Amex $15k SL

then I got CLI for Flagship CLI to $25k

all in less than a year.

You have to build a relationship with NFCU.

It can be done fast, but it has to be done.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Flagship card denied

Definitely go back and try one if the lower cards, maybe the 91/3 will work in your favor. I would also open a checking and savings and deposit a little money in there.
Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:
You have a few options.

1. Accept the secured card.
2. Don't accept the secured card but have a wasted HP.
3. Send recon SM Secured Mesage for non-Flagship card.
4. You fill in the blanks.

As others have said, Flagship generally isn't the first navy card you get. 

Quoted for +1 on your options

Message 13 of 33
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP and welcome to myFICO

You have gotten really excellent responses and I 100% agree with all of them. I just want to add my 2cents. 

You said you have high limit cards with very low UT. Maybe, just maybe, NFCU foresaw thay you wouldnt use their card either and felt that at this moment in time they rather not give a limit to a brand new member who may not put spend on their card either. A $3K UT on $32K CL is less than 1%. Just something to think about. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 14 of 33
mrfufoppss
Frequent Contributor

Reconn for a different card and watch yourself get approved

AOD FCU PLOC 10,000
NAVY FED CLOC 3000

Message 15 of 33
3se7ens
Frequent Contributor

What I gather here is that you may have simply applied for the card too soon.
There actually me be some sort of vetting process as they are a Credit Union and not a bank.
Trust me, in a couple of months you'll be glad you joined. Good Luck! Smiley Wink

As of 3/2022

EQ.-721  |  TU.-731  |  EX.-708

Top Cards:

AmEx Gold - $10,000 POT. BofA Americard $17,000 NFCU CR. $16,000 NFCU Plat.$15,000 FNBO Visa $14,800

Disco Miles $14,000 Chase FU $13,900 USAA Signature $13,000  PayPal MC $10,000 

Macy's AmEx $25,000 Macy's AmEx (upgraded) $25,000

Message 16 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU is confusing , I Was in the same boat when had signed up for NFCU waited 3 months then applied for flagship at time DP were 730 TU, 2% UTI , 4 or 5INQ past 12 months, 6or7 new accounts , high 6 figure income, and was denied stating I did not qualify for Min starting limit. it said no other explanation, just that didn’t qualify. Asked why I didn’t qualify got an answer just didn’t , which to me made no sense was it I had to many inquiries to many new accounts got no answer. All my other cards have limits of 5k to 25k average 10-15k limits. 2 months later applied for GoRewards approved for 1k . Thinking really low but ok put spend on it then maybe after will give me a big limit . 8 months after GoRewards approval, applied for flagship approved for $8800 limit. Not peanuts but not what was expecting.
With my GoRewards put decent spend over 8 months even with low limit, then recently requested a CLI and they gave me 2K increase only. Seen people with a lot worse DP and Scores getting 15k-25k limits , so when comes NFCU they confuse me on how they approve people. my wife even when she applied for the cash rewards card DP 630TU, 50%UTI, 8 INQ, 7/12 new accounts , bunch of late payments , 2 charge off’s got instant approval 10k SL and first card.
Message 17 of 33
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

My two cents:

1. From what I've previously read, Navy is very sensitive to DTI, significantly more than score and/or utilization.
  2. I do not buy into the notion that one should apply for a different card first. I was approved for the Flagship Rewards as my first credit product with Navy and there are numerous posts from others with a similar experience. 
  3. It's possible you may have simply applied too soon. I have only anecdotal evidence but one of the commonalities I saw with Flagship approvals (as a first card) was that people waited some time after joining before applying. In my case I waited about four months after joining NFCU before I applied. 

Message 18 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Caardvark wrote:

My two cents:

1. From what I've previously read, Navy is very sensitive to DTI, significantly more than score and/or utilization.
  2. I do not buy into the notion that one should apply for a different card first. I was approved for the Flagship Rewards as my first credit product with Navy and there are numerous posts from others with a similar experience. 
  3. It's possible you may have simply applied too soon. I have only anecdotal evidence but one of the commonalities I saw with Flagship approvals (as a first card) was that people waited some time after joining before applying. In my case I waited about four months after joining NFCU before I applied. 

Why wait and risk another denial when you can get a second card at 91/3?

Message 19 of 33
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Hi OP,

Like others here, my first app with NFCU was for the Flagship and was denied.  The reason being I didn't qualify for the minimum SL. On the recon call, the CSR confirmed that if I app for a different card, they'd use the same HP. I was instantly approved for 4,700 on the GoRewards.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.