Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Flagship card denied

tag
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: NFCU Flagship card denied

I personally dislike the "app for what I can get instead of what suits my spending" mentality. If I was required to open a "useless" card just to get "in" with a lender so I can get the card I actually want later, I think I would pass on doing business with that lender.
Not everyone wants to open new accounts every few months, lowering AAOA/scores, taking a slot of a more useful card from other banks like chase, BOA, USB, etc.

Waiting might seem like a "bad" idea in this age of "I want/deserve it right NOW!" But waiting until I can get what I want just makes sense to me.
Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:
I personally dislike the "app for what I can get instead of what suits my spending" mentality. If I was required to open a "useless" card just to get "in" with a lender so I can get the card I actually want later, I think I would pass on doing business with that lender.
Not everyone wants to open new accounts every few months, lowering AAOA/scores, taking a slot of a more useful card from other banks like chase, BOA, USB, etc.

Waiting might seem like a "bad" idea in this age of "I want/deserve it right NOW!" But waiting until I can get what I want just makes sense to me.

Meh. People are free to make that choice but then they would be missing out on how amazing NFCU is. 

There is method to their madness and their business model has done very well for them. 

They are likely trying to weed out people who want to churn the Flagship for the SUB. 

Message 22 of 33
dragontears
Senior Contributor

We will have to agree to disagree
Other than giving people with...bruised... credit reports high SL they are pretty meh.

None of their cards have spectacular rewards and other CUs have lower APR than their low APR card, their rates on loans are not spectacular and their savings account rate is meh.
I know that they are much beloved on this forum but I fail to see how they are more "amazing" than any other lender.
Message 23 of 33
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

*Ahem* Just dropping by to ensure the dialogue remains civil and does not derail regardless of which side of the fence you stand on.
Message 24 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:
Other than giving people with...bruised... credit reports high SL they are pretty meh.

None of their cards have spectacular rewards and other CUs have lower APR than their low APR card, their rates on loans are not spectacular and their savings account rate is meh.
I know that they are much beloved on this forum but I fail to see how they are more "amazing" than any other lender.

There's more to a lender than just APR (and their Platinum card at 7.49% is very low - it's not the lowest among CUs but it's far lower than any of the major banks offer while 11.4% is also competitive for rewards cards) and rewards and JD Power respondents seem to agree. 

46164148-D5E9-44E3-8A7C-F8B6680F1B7E.jpeg

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2019-credit-card-satisfaction-study

I can't speak to the Flagship directly because I don't travel but it certainly seems on paper like a card that's really easy to make that AF worth it like the 0% BT offers that Flagship holders apparently tend to get every year and flat 3X on all travel. 

I do believe that the cashRewards needs to be bumped to 2% to keep up with the likes of PenFed and Alliant but there are other perks like Member Deals and the simple fact that 1.5% cash back cards work for people who don't read credit forums and for those like me who value a nice app and no wait for their cash back, for example. 

NFCU isn't the best on everything but they're above average on everything and excellent on the customer service. 

I do hope that OP finds the right product for them but it seems clear that Flagship isn't going to happen right now either way. If it was me, I wouldn't want to waste the HP and would call NFCU and have them use the same HP for another product and then just get a larger Flagship after my 91/3. 

Message 25 of 33
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

Please name 3 cards that have a better SUB and a lower AF that are better than Flagship for overall spending in all categories.

Thanks!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 26 of 33
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Sigh.... I knew better than post anything that doesn't sing the praises of Navy but I felt my opinion has just as much value as anyone else on this forum.

I am sorry you disagree with me but no one lender is perfect for every person.

I never said that their cards were worthless just that the rewards were not spectacular. 2x on general spend is available with several lenders, 3x on travel is also not ground breaking nor spectacular. Also keep in mind that these rewards are points and points have a way of quietly being devalued.

At the end of the day, if they work for you, great! But that doesn't mean they are perfect for everyone.

On JD Power rankings.... lets just say Quicken loans always ranks high in that survey but there are sellers/real estate agents that will not accept offers/work with you if you use Quicken because of their reputation for not being able to close on time...
Message 27 of 33
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I understand your pain. So I had the opposite problem I have a Flagship card with a 50k CL. I recently applied for the Plat card as it has a 12 zero APR with no BT fees. I was denied. Recon did not work. Navy gave me several different reasons  for the decline. My scores are in the mid to upper 700s. I even tried to get them to reduce the CL on the Flagship to the new card and they would not budge. Very funny how this works. My UT is around 7% and I dont have a lot of new accounts in the past 12 months although I do in the past 24 months.   I applied for a US bank Plat instead and got an instant approval with a 17.5 k CL.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 28 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@morgacj2004 wrote:

I understand your pain. So I had the opposite problem I have a Flagship card with a 50k CL. I recently applied for the Plat card as it has a 12 zero APR with no BT fees. I was denied. Recon did not work. Navy gave me several different reasons  for the decline. My scores are in the mid to upper 700s. I even tried to get them to reduce the CL on the Flagship to the new card and they would not budge. Very funny how this works. My UT is around 7% and I dont have a lot of new accounts in the past 12 months although I do in the past 24 months.   I applied for a US bank Plat instead and got an instant approval with a 17.5 k CL.

You have a $35.5K Go Rewards as well according to your signature? If you do, that's $85.5K credit card exposure and Navy's max is $80K. I'm actually amazed they haven't contacted you to give up that $5.5K. 

Message 29 of 33
confuzed
Established Member

So Update. I applied for GORewards and was approved for a 1K limit at 16%. My lowest limit by far but I guess to establish the relationship it’s better than nothing. I definitely need to figure out how exactly to navigate this whole Navy Federal game.

Thanks to all those that responded. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.