Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Flagship card denied

tag
confuzed
Established Member

NFCU Flagship card denied

So I joined Navy Federal this week after being eligible because of family member. After getting membership approval and funding account I decided to apply for Flagship card. I honestly thought it would be a forgone conclusion I would get it. My scores on all 3 bureaus are over 760 with great payment history and very little utilization. Well to my surprise I was declined and offered a secured card. I can’t understand what happened. Anybody have a idea where I might have gone wrong?

Highest current credit card limit is 32K with just under 3K balance. They said I didn’t qualify for the minimum limit of 5K. I’m really at a loss.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Flagship card denied

Hello, 

From what I have gathered reading this great forum, Navy Federal's Flagship card is their top of the line card, so you should have applied for maybe their Cash Reward card first, with most likely a starting limit of $1000, so that you could  build up a good track record with them. I am certain you would be approved for that one or even the American Express one. Good luck to you. 

Message 2 of 33
DoctorManhattan
Frequent Contributor

I recently applied for their Platinum due to not having a relationship and was approved with a $900.00 SL. I did not want to go for one of their higher tier cards, due to just opening an account with them. However after using this card I am certain it will grow and my next card with them will have a much higher starting limit! As mentioned the flagship card is their top tier card I believe.
Message 3 of 33
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes Flagship is usually not the first card to get with them.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 33
AllZero
Mega Contributor

You have a few options.

1. Accept the secured card.
2. Don't accept the secured card but have a wasted HP.
3. Send recon SM Secured Mesage for non-Flagship card.
4. You fill in the blanks.
Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others have said, this was a case of just not knowing NFCU well enough and applying for the wrong card.

They are not known for huge limits for first cards for new members. We’ve seen the same story over and over.

Had you applied for any other card, I’d almost guarantee you would have gotten an approval. It would have been a sub-$5000 limit, but it would have grown with time and a second card application after 3-6 months would have been the monster limit you are looking for.

That said, you can try to recon the denial and see where that leads you.
Message 6 of 33
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, wait for the letter to address the reason(s) for the decline.

On the upside, they countered with the secured card (your choice as to whether you want to pursue), but there's something that NFCU wasn't comfortable with profile-wise to extend something unsecured at this point.
Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think someone on here did this recently.  If you are willing to take another HP, go back and apply for a cash rewards or platinum card and see what the result is.  My first and only card with Navy had a SL of $17.6k.  But PenFed also started me out at $25k.

Message 8 of 33
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sometimes a seems like perfect profile doesnt translate to instant success with Navy. Navy sometimes wants to get to know you firstSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 33
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Sorry for your denial op. Theres been other posts where scores simular to yours had the same results. Its been said the flagship is their top tier. See what your letter says, and give them a call to discuss your options. Good luck to you!
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.