Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Navy Federal Secured nRewards Graduated, CLI attempt info

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Navy Federal Secured nRewards Graduated, CLI attempt info

Hello all I wanted to make a post about some information I was looking for on the boards that I could not easily find. 

Like many many others I secured a $500 nRewards card.

It graduated somewhere around the 65 day mark (less than 3 statements, NFCU EQ09 606).

Upon graduation my $500 deposit was returned to my checking account and my limit was increased to $2000 as seems to be standard.

Now is where the gray area comes in to play.  Obviously I want to grow the card, so I wanted to post my results on that quest.

I hit 95/3 (from the date the secured card was opened) on 6/5/2019.

I requested a cli which gave me the standard 24hour message.
I called Navy the following day, I was told it was a denial.

The reason given was not enough time, or requested too soon.  The CSR indicated that graduation resets the clock.  But which clock, 91/3 or 180?! I asked but she gave no indication saying only "there are no set time limits, yada yada yada" 

My next step is to request at 91/3 from the day of graduation, at this point my gut feeling is that will be a denial, if so I will request at 180 days from secured account opening then 180 days from graduation until I see a result other than "too soon".  I will update this post.

Edit: A user posted a very valid point.  A CSR reaffirmed to the user that if a card receives a CLI, that card must wait 180days for any further CLI.  Since my Secured nRewards went from $500>>>$2000 when it graduated I am working on the assumption that it will indeed take 180 days from the graduation date to secure a CLI.  I plan to work the schedule that I outlined above, I will update any pertinent info.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU Navy Federal Secured nRewards Graduated, CLI attempt info

It was my understanding that NFCU CLI's are best done at the 180 mark while new cards the 91/3.  I hope some other savvy NFCU pro's will chime in on this. 

Good job with the secured card graduating.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our household has CLI'd 5 NFCU cards in the past year, each one at ~91/3.  While I agree waiting 6 months will likely result in higher CLI amounts, you can definitely get a CLI on a new card at 91/3 if your profile supports it.  FWIW all 5 CLI's were 3x (and not mine, lol). 

My initial purpose was to further define the timeline for CLI on a graduating secured NFCU card.  My card graduated before 91/3.  By requesting CLI at 91/3 from day 0, I was able to provide an anecdotal DP to establish that 91/3 does not start when the account is initially created even if you graduate in that time period.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been a couple of years since my secured card transitioned.  Anyway I found it easier to get a second card then to get a CLI on my card that went from secured to unsecured.  Might be an option to consider. 

Message 4 of 18
Bojack
Valued Member

I was curious about this. I'm intrigued by everyone talking about nfcu giving 25k credit lines but I wonder if it would be hard to ever get the once secured card up to that number.
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My previously secured card is at 16K, I am sure that when the timing is right I can get at or near 25K. 

Message 6 of 18
Bojack
Valued Member

Nice!! Did you request multiple increase to get to that 16k or do they automatically bump it up over time?
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine went from secured to unsecured with 2k then to 6k and finally to 16k over the course of about 18 months.  I haven't asked for a CLI on it since but plan on doing so now that my utilization on it and my other cards are below 5%.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of my CLIs were initiated by me. Apparently you have to give them permission to consider your accounts for CLI automatically.  I haven't made that phone call yet

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had a similiar experience with my card, $500 secured --> $2000 unsecured(5 months) --> $6000(6 months later)

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.