cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Platinum - Has anyone heard of a Recon?

tag
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

NFCU Platinum - Has anyone heard of a Recon?

I've just joined NFCU, apped for the Platinum and got it with a measly $800 SL. Most of my other 6 cards average 25K. I'd like to take advantage of their liberal BT policy, but it's hard to do with such a small CL. Has anyone heard of a reconsideration plea for a somewhat higher CL with NFCU? If such a thing exists, I'd like to learn about it. I know that NFCU is good about auto-CLIs as your Util goes down and your numbers and aggregate credit go up. I'm paying off cards to reduce my Util from about 32% to under 7%. However, that doesn't take place until the beginning of 2019. When my Amex BCP reports in 2 days, my aggregate credit will go up by about 17.5% and my Util will go down accordingly. If a recon is possible with NFCU, I thought I should make my attempt after the BCP reports.

I await your comments and advice.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Platinum - Has anyone heard of a Recon?

Did you ask right away when you were approved for the SL?!

Message 2 of 11
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

Did you ask right away when you were approved for the SL?!

No, I asked when I could request a CLI and was told I could do it after one year, but that NFCU is very good about giving out auto-CLIs if your credit elements improve markedly. 

Message 3 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@kshurika wrote:

I've just joined NFCU, apped for the Platinum and got it with a measly $800 SL. Most of my other 6 cards average 25K. I'd like to take advantage of their liberal BT policy, but it's hard to do with such a small CL. Has anyone heard of a reconsideration plea for a somewhat higher CL with NFCU? If such a thing exists, I'd like to learn about it. I know that NFCU is good about auto-CLIs as your Util goes down and your numbers and aggregate credit go up. I'm paying off cards to reduce my Util from about 32% to under 7%. However, that doesn't take place until the beginning of 2019. When my Amex BCP reports in 2 days, my aggregate credit will go up by about 17.5% and my Util will go down accordingly. If a recon is possible with NFCU, I thought I should make my attempt after the BCP reports.

I await your comments and advice.

Since you just joined NFCU, they really don't have any historial payment or usage data on you. I suggest waiting 91 days/3 statement cuts to apply for a CLI or you can always send a SM and ask for reconsideration. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 11
zerofire
Valued Contributor

The problem with your idea is that NFCU is one of those institutions that will give you as much SL as possible right off the bat. On top of that when they deny something they are known to be like stainless steel when it comes to recon.  Basically nothing changes. In your case you got an approval for the card but something in your report is telling them to trial you instead of giving a reasonable match. Any options on getting some data points?

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 5 of 11
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

Well, as I said, the only real negative is a derog on TransUnion for a tiny medical thing that I've been slack about taking care of. NFCU uses TU. Also, my Util. Is a bit high (around 34%) because I've been buying some really expensive stuff using 0% APR cards, but it still goes against Util. Even so, my numbers are fairly good, but TU is the lowest and that's where the derog is. I probably should have taken the time to see which CRA NFCU uses. Other than that, everything is good. No lates, BK's, bug-outs, defaults, fist fights, etc.

Despite reading on here the high SLs people have been getting from NFCU, I really didn't expect to get one myself, given my DPs. But, I thought I might get 5K. I should have found out which CRA NFCU uses and waited until two of my cards got very large CLIs before I applied for the Platinum. I go back to <1% in early January.

Live and learn.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I was approved for my NFCU AMEX card last month, I called in because my SL was 10k and I was sooo happy. The CSR did mention that NFCU looks back at your utilization (past 6 months) and your DTI (past 6 months) so maybe that is the reason for the small SL??? I would call and ask for recon though.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as they approved you for tree-fiddy its as good as $25k within 12-18 months time if you are halfway correct with keeping your credit profile tight.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 11
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the new Navy card!

Message 9 of 11
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

Thanks!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.